Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

Blue leg crabs, turbo snails, cerith snails, astrea snails
Yellow tang, yellow eye kole tang, four lyretail anthias and one red corriss wrasse
 
Hopefully none of the fish developed a taste for clam.
 
I was wondering if you guys think a 4 inch maxima clam would be safe with a pillow cushion starfish? I know that starfish eat molluscs but I was wondering if it might be safe since the clam is so large. Then again pillow cushion stars are pretty big good too. Opinions?
 
Why are clams so expensive?

Someone may correct me, but I think they are expensive for a couple of reasons. Broodstock is generally kept in large greenhouse style ponds. They induce spawning, capture the babies, culture and feed them large amounts of phytoplankton, transferring them to growout ponds where after they get some size to them they transfer them to the ocean typically in cages where they let them grow for a couple of years before taking them out and shipping to us. There is a lot of time (several years) and labor along with losses involved with growing them so that cost is passed on to us.
 
I personally would not try it on that size of tank with that fixture. Not to demean you, I would only put softies under that fixture. I have the same tank, and am using the Kessil a360w, which work great for clams but I can't speak for that exact light.

I gotta second this... Those lights have awesome features, but their power is very bad. I've got one in my closet... I bought a 165w full spectrum off of eBay for 75.00.
 
Does the color of the Maxima Clam indicate to where in the tank he would prefer to be placed????? :nerd:
 
I have a fluval sea marine and reef LED 2.0.... Would that be enough for a clam?
 
I experienced an "mysterious overnight clam death" and the Water and lighting great. I had this maxima for over 2.5 months. It looked like this the night before it collapsed. It was reacting to MOVEMENT LIKE NORMAL TOO. Plus nothing in the tank was harassing it. ?????? It was happy to the end. Under Aquabeam 1500NP's 20K . Full Spectrum. No Photo touchups. Good Luck
 

Attachments

  • My Ultra Blue Maxima Clam (top view).JPG
    My Ultra Blue Maxima Clam (top view).JPG
    3 MB · Views: 497
hi Skinz78 , i guess your are the man to talk to , members from other forums directed me to as you about my new clam ,
i am worried that it has a disease or something would you take a look at the pics below and let me know what you think , i have it in a 40 gallon that was setup for about 15 Month , i have a clown fish a pink spotted goby and an anthia , i also have a peppermint and a cleaner shrimp that don't touch it , nothing in the tank is bothering it , i got this as a gift 4 days ago ,
alk 9dkh
cal 430
mag 1350
PH 8.2
amonia and nitrite 0
nitrate 30 as of yesterday and i am doing 5 gallon water changes every day to get it back down to zero

please take a look and of-course any advise from any clam experienced members is always welcomed and appreciated , this is my 1st clam and a beautiful specimen would love for it to survive till i update next month to the 100 Gallon tank i just bought , thanks everyone
IMG_20150705_174045.jpg
IMG_20150705_202241.jpg
IMG_20150706_192822.jpg
 
hi @skinz78 , i guess your are the man to talk to , members from other forums directed me to as you about my new clam ,
i am worried that it has a disease or something would you take a look at the pics below and let me know what you think , i have it in a 40 gallon that was setup for about 15 Month , i have a clown fish a pink spotted goby and an anthia , i also have a peppermint and a cleaner shrimp that don't touch it , nothing in the tank is bothering it , i got this as a gift 4 days ago ,
alk 9dkh
cal 430
mag 1350
PH 8.2
amonia and nitrite 0
nitrate 30 as of yesterday and i am doing 5 gallon water changes every day to get it back down to zero

please take a look and of-course any advise from any clam experienced members is always welcomed and appreciated , this is my 1st clam and a beautiful specimen would love for it to survive till i update next month to the 100 Gallon tank i just bought , thanks everyone
IMG_20150705_174045.jpg
IMG_20150705_202241.jpg
IMG_20150706_192822.jpg
 
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1436474855.008929.jpg


I bought my first clam about a week ago, it's about 2-3" long. I don't know too much about them, what flow/light do they need?

I've put it about mid way up the tank in the centre so probably medium to low flow and medium to high light.

I read the first post that suggests 0 nitrate? I always though clams feed on nitrate and hence need s tank with at least some nitrates?
 
I bought a 3 inch farmed deresa clam at the LFS about 3 weeks ago and once it opened I noticed there were areas of fading(almost translucent spotting throughout the clams center.. He seems to be healthy but isn't really getting his color back?? has anyone ever seen this before. I should have taken him back to the LFS right after I got him but I figured it was just stress!! Here is a picture, Note( this was taken as the lights were going off which is why its mantle is not open all the way.)

Thanks Ahead of time!!
DSC_1474.JPG
 
You should get some peppermint shrimp! Make sure you order some so they come straight from the wild because the ones from your LFS might not work.. Also stop feeding when you introduce them.
 
image.jpeg
I hope someone gives me an idea as to what is going on with my clams mantle... Here's a picture ... Clam is very responsive to light touch and anything .. Open and close with no problem... Only the edges of mantle is like this... No corals are near ... Only fish in tank is a yellow tang and chromis

Cal 440
Alk 8
Mag 1350
Nitrates 0
Ammonia 0
Phosphate haven't tested


Thanks in advance
image.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top