Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

Yea, I have moved all coral away especially the small Euphyllia frag that's about 8'' away from the clam.. I scrapped all Algae off and around on the rock that it's placed on as you can see from the pix! I carefully inspected the entire shell and there is ZERO algae anywhere on the shell.
Also, I have increased my salinity to 1.025 in a matter of a few days, nice and slow..

Thanks, everyone that has helped me and your thoughts!

Clam.jpg
 
Last edited:
Yea, I have moved all coral away especially the small Euphyllia frag that's about 8'' away from the clam.. I scrapped all Algae off and around on the rock that it's placed on as you can see from the pix! I carefully inspected the entire shell and there is ZERO algae anywhere on the shell.
Also, I have increased my salinity to 1.025 in a matter of a few days, nice and slow..

Thanks, everyone that has helped me and your thoughts!

Clam.jpg

That is fantastic, great to see a positive outcome. The clam is beautiful.
 
I've kept a 32 gal mixed reef for 1.5 years now. I'm going to be setting up a 93 cube here in the next few months and really want to have a clam or two.

What fish do i need to be aware of that are, potentially or definitely a danger to a clam?

Having only kept a small tank i have only kept smaller species of fish.
 
Im going to tag along on this thread hopefully can give some people some help with their clams. I know some people have seen my Noae before but heres a pic of it. On a mission currently to get an ultra blue Maxima in the same size range. Has been a losing battle for months now though. Powder b
Brown is about 6 inches long for size reference. About 10 inches long and 6 or 7 high. With 7 sets of ribs.
20170512_211055.jpg
 
I've kept a 32 gal mixed reef for 1.5 years now. I'm going to be setting up a 93 cube here in the next few months and really want to have a clam or two.

What fish do i need to be aware of that are, potentially or definitely a danger to a clam?

Having only kept a small tank i have only kept smaller species of fish.

Angels, some Blennies seem to be the most predominate mantle nippers. For larger fish types, Triggers, Puffer fish.

You could add a smaller Derasa now to the smaller tank.
 
Im going to tag along on this thread hopefully can give some people some help with their clams. I know some people have seen my Noae before but heres a pic of it. On a mission currently to get an ultra blue Maxima in the same size range. Has been a losing battle for months now though. Powder b
Brown is about 6 inches long for size reference. About 10 inches long and 6 or 7 high. With 7 sets of ribs.
20170512_211055.jpg

^ Beautiful clam, is it a tear drop maxima?
 
Angels, some Blennies seem to be the most predominate mantle nippers. For larger fish types, Triggers, Puffer fish.

You could add a smaller Derasa now to the smaller tank.

I've thought about it but I'd just rather wait till the new system is up. My fungia doesn't have enough room as it is haha
 
So I don't know if it's been posted in the thread yet, but I moved my clam earlier today and when I got home, about 10 hours later, I saw my clam had fallen and it's foot was still attached to the rock. I have it wedged up right now to where it can open still but this is my first clam and I have no idea if the doomed or not. By the way it's only about 1-2 inches big
 
I've had my T. Maxima for over a year. It has doubled in size. Sitting on a rock under 1 Radion Gen3, par is about 250.
My question is, how long can I expect it to survive before it needs higher lighting?

4/2016
ad8b38857a47ea9b46d99694615df7f7.jpg


7/2017 Sitting on same rock [emoji16]
b7244ba5caa64b55e729d45f1038f1e7.jpg
 
I've had my T. Maxima for over a year. It has doubled in size. Sitting on a rock under 1 Radion Gen3, par is about 250.
My question is, how long can I expect it to survive before it needs higher lighting?

4/2016
ad8b38857a47ea9b46d99694615df7f7.jpg


7/2017 Sitting on same rock [emoji16]
b7244ba5caa64b55e729d45f1038f1e7.jpg
I think that will be plenty of light for your maxima. I have a derasa sitting on my sanded and I have right around the same amount of par as you do. The most important thing for clams is to just leave them alone and don't let them fall over, which it seems you are doing a good job with that rock your clam is sitting on.
 
Can someone tell me if this is a clam or oyster

20170704_105609.jpg
 
^ can you get a top down or another angle.
 
Bout the best shots i could get

20170704_130544.jpg


20170704_130550.jpg


20170704_130544.jpg
 
I am inclined to think clam. For the vast majority of bivalve hitch hikers most are non-photosynthetic and require suspended particulate matter as they are filter feeders. The unknown could also be a mussel. :-)
 
How many byssal threads does a Maxima clam usually produce when anchoring itself? Is there an average, and if it's less than that, should I be worried? My new Maxima has produced one thread so far, and has not produced any more. I've had it for 2 days.
 
I do not believe there is any significance to the amount of threads produced. It can take days or longer for a clam, it's an on going process. Make sure the clam in on a stable surface. The larger a clam gets the less of a need there is for the clam to attach as it's weight will hold the clam in place and upright.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top