Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

My 5” Deresa appears to be doing well after about a month in the tank.

I am doing some rescaping and would like to raise it about 2” off the sand bed, placed on a large piece of Tonga plate.

Any issues with that?

Pic of it now
e3ef83720dfc185caeeee18382c02b7f.jpg
 
Potential problem with my squamosa, the siphon is almost non existing and transparent. It reacts really well to fish presence and growth is still not slowing down. Could it be too much light?
I would leave it be. If growth is steady and it reacts to light/shadows I wouldn't be to concerened.
 
My 5” Deresa appears to be doing well after about a month in the tank.

I am doing some rescaping and would like to raise it about 2” off the sand bed, placed on a large piece of Tonga plate.

Any issues with that?

Pic of it now
e3ef83720dfc185caeeee18382c02b7f.jpg
With the size of the clam I would try my best to leave it on the sand bed.
 
can I keep a giant clam in my reef with my CBB ? Because his main diet at the moment consist of only half shell clam
 
My derasa (~6") is currently not coming out of his shell all of the way. Three weeks ago, I raised my radion g4pro(w/diffuser) up about an inch and it seemed to be doing fine. This past week it has just been minimally opening. I haven't made any changes to the system. I've been feeding more (3-4 times a week up from 2) and it is responding with ONE filter push instead of its past 2-3 feeding pushes. It responds quickly when I shade over him and what not. Internals look nice and white with the exception of feeding time.

PAR according to Apogee PAR meter says 160-170 at the sandbed. Running AB+ at 100% intensity (~70% actual) for 7 hours.

Any ideas?

Temp: 77F
SG: 1.027
Ca: 400
kH: 8.7
Mag: 1450
Phos: 0
NO2/No3: 0
 
Last edited:
Need Advice. New Clam arriving Saturday [emoji16]
So I just ordered a Squamosa clam from Diver's Den for Saturday delivery. Need advice on best way to acclimate, both water-wise and light-wise. I have a 3 year mature 55 gallon mixed reef tank. I'll attach a video so you can see. I have 2 Kessil A360WE Tuna Blues. I've tried twice before with Maxima clams, but both didn't make it after just a few days. My tank was only about a year old then, and I wasn't dosing 2 part yet. I've seen videos where you need to "burp" the clam when you transfer it from the acclimator to the tank. Is that true? I will be using the Acclimate by Reef Gently. Anyway, all words of wisdom are welcome. Thanks!

 
My derasa (~6") is currently not coming out of his shell all of the way. Three weeks ago, I raised my radion g4pro(w/diffuser) up about an inch and it seemed to be doing fine. This past week it has just been minimally opening. I haven't made any changes to the system. I've been feeding more (3-4 times a week up from 2) and it is responding with ONE filter push instead of its past 2-3 feeding pushes. It responds quickly when I shade over him and what not. Internals look nice and white with the exception of feeding time.

PAR according to Apogee PAR meter says 160-170 at the sandbed. Running AB+ at 100% intensity (~70% actual) for 7 hours.

Any ideas?

Temp: 77F
SG: 1.027
Ca: 400
kH: 8.7
Mag: 1450
Phos: 0
NO2/No3: 0
I'd rather have more par but that should suffice. I wouldn't try feeding the clam either and try getting your nutrients up a bit, they typically feed on dissolved nutrients and lighting will provide necessary nutrition. Check for typical parasitic snails as well. Can you post a pic?
 
Last edited:
Need Advice. New Clam arriving Saturday [emoji16]
So I just ordered a Squamosa clam from Diver's Den for Saturday delivery. Need advice on best way to acclimate, both water-wise and light-wise. I have a 3 year mature 55 gallon mixed reef tank. I'll attach a video so you can see. I have 2 Kessil A360WE Tuna Blues. I've tried twice before with Maxima clams, but both didn't make it after just a few days. My tank was only about a year old then, and I wasn't dosing 2 part yet. I've seen videos where you need to "burp" the clam when you transfer it from the acclimator to the tank. Is that true? I will be using the Acclimate by Reef Gently. Anyway, all words of wisdom are welcome. Thanks!

I'd test the water it comes in to see how off the salinity is, etc. I typically did a fast drip depending on how close parameters were to our tank, not usually over 30 minutes and all was well. You can gently rotate the clam once in your tank to release trapped air. Give the clam a good once over and check for pyramids, etc. Some might like to acclimate longer but I wanted the clam in the DT as soon as possible.
 
Yes this was my thinking. I might not have been clear in my original post - It came on a small specialised clam dish. The spot it's in is fairly low flow (mantle barely moves) so hopefully it'll stop wandering and attach properly so I can get it into a higher light spot. Unfortunately I'm away from home for the next 5 days so hopefully it doesn't move again in that time.

Quoting my own post from a while ago. Happy to report that the clam eventually attached so I was able to move it to a higher position. It's currently about 60cm/~24" away from my lights. I was worried for a while but recently got back from a week away and out of nowhere there's new shell growth of approx 2mm all the way round!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top