Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

Quoting my own post from a while ago. Happy to report that the clam eventually attached so I was able to move it to a higher position. It's currently about 60cm/~24" away from my lights. I was worried for a while but recently got back from a week away and out of nowhere there's new shell growth of approx 2mm all the way round!
That's great to hear!
 
@DSC reef
@jda

Any good? $45

b25a204f6436b2f760582674470519e9.png
d7a5323c42797c93fe2c88adb8035b36.png
ec29952bf2ff7317cff76e1438192aef.png
9f61f5d9ea65f2e5d1eaea040bd097e9.png
e17045c9e8f0f52d9924c94f439f0df0.png
 
I see shell growth since it has been in captivity. ...a very good sign.

As on every occasion, thanks for your help.

On another note, my maxima doesn't have a rock/clam holder and is on the glass bottom. Can I attach clams to scallop shells? The flat smooth sides?

6ae7cc3240d496944d970e16953c8726.jpg


A.
 
As on every occasion, thanks for your help.

On another note, my maxima doesn't have a rock/clam holder and is on the glass bottom. Can I attach clams to scallop shells? The flat smooth sides?

6ae7cc3240d496944d970e16953c8726.jpg


A.
That's an awesome derasa, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Those scallop shells would work great.
 
That's an awesome derasa, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Those scallop shells would work great.

Clams are not ok kept next to each other or best given space? I understand if their mantles shadow their neighbour then it's not so good but any other concerns?

The scallop shells were not varnished and natural as I had to get the white calcium tubes off the shells which I believe would have been fanworms?
I assume they are reef safe in this natural state?

A.
 
I'd rather have more par but that should suffice. I wouldn't try feeding the clam either and try getting your nutrients up a bit, they typically feed on dissolved nutrients and lighting will provide necessary nutrition. Check for typical parasitic snails as well. Can you post a pic?

Just broadcast more food more frequently?
It is night already, but here he is. Looks like he is starting to gape...
zMQIC4X.jpg
 
Its definitely gaping, looks to be a goner I'm afraid....
Agh... I've had it for a long time. What do you think the cause was?

Also, it is still feeding normal, and also responding quickly to shade stimulus.

Crap.... I just checked the underside of the clam and it has white snails... Pyramidellids.... A lot of them....
 
Last edited:
Agh... I've had it for a long time. What do you think the cause was?

Also, it is still feeding normal, and also responding quickly to shade stimulus.

Crap.... I just checked the underside of the clam and it has white snails... Pyramidellids.... A lot of them....

dang, any pictures?

A.
 
Setting up for a scrub now and putting him up on the rockwork in wrasse territory...
KSKe0hM.jpg

Such a shame, have you got other clams in there? How did they get into your tank, recent additions?

A.
 
Setting up for a scrub now and putting him up on the rockwork in wrasse territory...
KSKe0hM.jpg
That's an infestation. Your going to have to go clam less for a while and regularly check your snails in the clean up crew. We lost a collection from those pyramids including or old squamosa.
 
That's an infestation. Your going to have to go clam less for a while and regularly check your snails in the clean up crew. We lost a collection from those pyramids including or old squamosa.
I've never had them before so I never thought to check... And the buggers are white as the sand... Sadness for me and your experience from them... gut-wrenching...
Is there anything I can do to TRY and save it? Just scrubbed it avoiding the tissue and placed it higher up in the tank on some rockwork where the wrasse patrols...
 
Bonus shot of the aftermath...
gYwu5iH.jpg
 
With that amount I'm confident the damage is done and there are a lot more I'm sure. Keep checking daily/nightly and remove all you can see. Unfortunately wrasses are typically diurnal while the parasitic snails are nocturnal.
 
With that amount I'm confident the damage is done and there are a lot more I'm sure. Keep checking daily/nightly and remove all you can see. Unfortunately wrasses are typically diurnal while the parasitic snails are nocturnal.
Will do. I'll check this reef pest off my "been there" list. Thanks for the support.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top