@DSC reef
@jda
Crocea clam in possession, came on a piece of rock which had worms protruding on the underside. So the scalpel came out....
Appears to have been a simple removal, whilst out of the water and closed. I slightly, gently twisted the clam 90° then placed it back in the water. Minutes later I removed again and used the scalpel to slice the byssal at closest point to the rock. It was not hard and very little effort, so I believe the clam had decided to begin to remove itself as I'd gave a slight twist prior!
The rock had asterina starfish in tow as well as the worms. Felt it was only right I removed the clam to help prevent infestation of some type in my tank.
I'd drip acclimated the clam for 1-1/2 hours prior to removal off the rock.
At this point, I wouldn't advise, however I used 3% h2O2 on the shell whilst holding the clam 'hinge facing the ceiling' 'opening facing the floor' so it the liquid could drop away from the shell whilst blasting as much from the shell as possible. I instantly swooshed the clam in saltwater hereafter and gave a good scrub using a toothbrush whilst using a sharp edge to scrape any unusual growth upon the outer shell.
Images of the Crocea mid procedure and then in my display tank alongside my other new Derasa clam.
Guys, you remember I asked if the Crocea was gaping prior to purchase? What are your thoughts now?
NOTE: on the Crocea byssal the dark colouration at the front of the foot, it appears this is where it was attached to the rock. Is this normal colouring?
Thanks
A.