Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

Crocea can really stretched out when stressed from moving or dipping. It should go back to a more normal incurrent size once it is happier.
 
3 days later, clam seems to recovering just fine. Picked off another 8+ snails the next night, found 1 or 2 the following nights... going to check tonight so I'm not taking the clam out every night.
c2P6VP5.jpg
 
3 days later, clam seems to recovering just fine. Picked off another 8+ snails the next night, found 1 or 2 the following nights... going to check tonight so I'm not taking the clam out every night.
c2P6VP5.jpg

Keep going, excellent effort here @Tides [emoji1360]

A.
 
So I got a 2-1/2" Squamosa clam from Diver's Den this past Saturday, and placed him on a Clam Hammock, similar to this:
18171b385d5234f0c1339880d6878ffd.jpeg
Here's a picture of him:
57f970248b4ef1316816230e306d180a.jpg
So my question is this......will he attach himself to the Hammock/cradle using his byssal gland, or not? It's only been 4 days, but he hasn't thus far. Just curious. Do Squamosas do this like Maximas and Croceas?
 
Squamosa have very weak byssal thread. Even when they are young, Squamosa will do fine in sand if the light is bright enough. i always place my clams on sand, even Crocea and Maxima. If your light is bright enough, you can view them much better lower in the tank.
 
I have 3 clam in my jbj 30g. I use reefbreeders photon 16 fixture and they love it. My derasa has more than doubled in size over the past year, and the two maximas are about 9 months in the tank and they have both grown about 10%. I keep my lights dialed back to a combined output of only about 50% capacity at their peak, but run mostly blue and I feed phyto about 4ml once/week for the little guys. My derasa started about 2 inches and now it's about 5, and my maximas started about 1.5"s and they are both approaching 2. Also I moved I'm May and my derasa was so firmly attached to the rockwork that I eventually gave up trying to remove it, and opted to just cover it with a wet towel and leave it in the tank. It was out of water for 30~45 minutes and survived without a hitch. It was open and back to its norm the following day.

Ha! That's what I do too. My clam attached itself very high up in my tank and for water changes I would have to cover it with a wet towel during water changes so he wouldn't get dry. Im glad to know other people do it too. I was a little worried I might be doing it some harm I don't know about.
 
I purchased a blue squamosa about 6 months ago. It has since doubled in size and is quite happy. I realized about 3 months ago that I have a hitchhiker growing on the bottom of the clam. I really dont remember it being there when I got it but it is growing at a fast rate. It doesnt seem to bother the squamosa at present so is it worth the risk to remove it or should I go ahead before I do have a problem? Any recommendations on how to remove it?
C187D568-AC3A-4A77-AC48-7E156132AEEF.jpeg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top