Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

Absolutely

Great, noted. As for pyramid snails, are they best hinted at night? I'm pretty confident I'm in the clear, no signs as yet from new inhabitants etc. Just needed to check when would be best to spot them?

A.
 
Has anyone seen this before? This isn’t my clam, but my 2-1/2” Squamosa did the same thing today as the right clam in this picture. This white part stuck out of his inlet syphon for about 10 minutes or so soon after I fed the tank some oyster feast and phyto feast. He then closed his shell tight, then slowly opened it about 10 minutes later, and is now looking back to normal. I’ve only had him for about 1-1/2 weeks, so this is kinda freaking me out. Any others here experience this? If so, what is happening?
630cf3ce8e297d634b3085222466e4a8.jpg
 
They look fine. Like DSC said, the only way to tell for sure is new shell growth... so cross your fingers. I have found that once clams start growing, they grow fast if you keep everything stable.
 
Well my nano is 40L/10.5g with a radion gen 3 pro running 25% intensity. The tank depth is 9" water depth and then another 9" from water surface to light.
Currently dosing all, cal & mag to get levels up, and plan to dose relevant element(s) to keep stability.

What do clams use most, commonly?

NitrAte
Alk
Cal

Thanks gang,

A.
 
Ammonia, Calcium and Carbonate along with lots of light. The need some nitrate and phosphate for building blocks for their own tissue and for the zoox in their mantle, but they do not get "nutrients" from these (neither do coral)... they get nutrient in the form of sugars from the zoox and well as from anything that they can catch from the water column.
 
Ammonia, Calcium and Carbonate along with lots of light. The need some nitrate and phosphate for building blocks for their own tissue and for the zoox in their mantle, but they do not get "nutrients" from these (neither do coral)... they get nutrient in the form of sugars from the zoox and well as from anything that they can catch from the water column.

Explained as clear as day, thank you ;)

A.
 
I've placed my Maxima and Crocea both next to each other and directly under the radion in the centre of the tank. The Derasa I've moved to the corner so not exposed to as much direct light...

Sound right?

A.
 
I've placed my Maxima and Crocea both next to each other and directly under the radion in the centre of the tank. The Derasa I've moved to the corner so not exposed to as much direct light...

Sound right?

A.
That should be fine. Don't be afraid to throw light at the derasa.
 
can you have a blood clam on reef tank? if so how can you take care of it...
 
So the deresa I got from Petco a couple months back is doing great.
923651fdab74f028a541dba0045105ef.jpg

06e91809e0482e1f8a128e2750d2b19d.jpg


They now have a 3-4” maxima there. Been looking good for a couple weeks.

Problem is, I can’t tell what color it is cause there lights are not blue. Just looks bland like everything else there.

I’m going to see if they will let me drive around the block with it and throw it under my lights.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
 
So the deresa I got from Petco a couple months back is doing great.
923651fdab74f028a541dba0045105ef.jpg

06e91809e0482e1f8a128e2750d2b19d.jpg


They now have a 3-4” maxima there. Been looking good for a couple weeks.

Problem is, I can’t tell what color it is cause there lights are not blue. Just looks bland like everything else there.

I’m going to see if they will let me drive around the block with it and throw it under my lights.

Any other ideas or suggestions?
Your clams look great! The maxima could be way under lit causing a bland color.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top