Got my ATI results back and need help with a game plan.

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 20, 2021
Messages
86
Reaction score
66
Location
Williston
What state or country do you live in
North Dakota
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got my results back. I took my sample the same week that I started a chaeto reactor so know my nitrates and phosphates will come down, but am concerned that my nitrates are 135x my phosphates instead of about 10x like I see being ideal. I’m thinking of starting to dose NoPox but am unsure if there’s something else I should do to bring this down further.

Additionally, a lot of heavy metals like copper and zinc are particularly high. I’m thinking I need to do Triton’s detox. I’ve been suspicious of exposed metal in the original return pump so am ordering a replacement.

I’m gradually increasing alk to about 8.5 so corals will get more of what they need to grow via Tropic Marin All-for-Reef.

I’ve attached my analysis and am hoping for more advice. Other than the chaeto reactor addition, I’d also added a couple more fish thinking the chaeto would balance that out and have added several SPS and LPS frags hence the obvious desire for finding a solution as quick as is justifiably possible.

I’m unsure of other possible sources of the heavy metals as we use disposable shoulder length gloves when reaching into the water to prevent this. I want to fix the levels then test again in a month to make sure they aren’t still creeping and hopefully find the source. The new return pump will be a sicce, my wave makers are jebao, I don’t remember my heater brand, all in a Biocube.

469E4DF8-33C2-47C1-82FC-7D5FED797568.png 9261EC59-0C6A-40B6-9246-B034F287ADEF.png 55036BA7-924D-42AE-B1D3-B6793DC5D0B1.png
 
It sounds like the pump may be the culprit, so replacing that is a good cautionary step (polymer, ceramic and titanium are your friends here).

In terms of the nitrates, NOPOX is a good short-term solution, but I wouldn't add any more fish until you get the pump replaced and the nitrates down to a more manageable level.
 
It sounds like the pump may be the culprit, so replacing that is a good cautionary step (polymer, ceramic and titanium are your friends here).

In terms of the nitrates, NOPOX is a good short-term solution, but I wouldn't add any more fish until you get the pump replaced and the nitrates down to a more manageable level.
I’m not 100% sure it’s the pump but it’s been running in the tank for about 4 years now counting prior to my adoption of it so it’s time. I’ve also been wanting to increase the turnover of water a little bit since I’m doing more stony corals.

I had two clowns and a blenny and added two damsels and a chromis so am very content with what I have and will not be adding anything.
 
Do you run the chaeto reactor light 24/7? If not, that might help with nitrate as long as you keep up with phosphate. There are also nitrate removers that might help. As for being worried with metals, you can always run a bag of zeolite or cuprisorb if you are worried.
 
I'm not sure if the copper is high enough to be an issue. Zinc, maybe. iron, no.

Looking for a metal source is a good plan, but I would not go crazy driving them down as you will also drive down things you needs that are presently already undetectable.

The frags are doing OK?

Other inverts seem ok?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top