Great start, new it was too good to be true :-(.

G8trBait16

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2013
Messages
939
Reaction score
817
Location
Longwood, FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this 240g (96x24x25) going for a month or 1.5 month. I have 2 - 1.5in drain pipes. I am running a jebao DC 12000 and 2 out of 5 LED's on the controller are lit. I can't see any fish in the overflows, it is mind boggling for me. I have added a 1.30 min video. I can take as many videos or pictures as are needed. I could turn down the return pump to 1 light (lowest it can go), but I thought it wouldn't be enough flow going through the sump. have drilled the 2 caps of the top of the dorso and have a airline in there on both pipes. Any help would be greatly appreciated, bc this sound is getting to me, which is causing my ato Alarm to go off the chain.

 
Looks like your drain is going full siphon every so often. No need for that airline on a durso setup. Just leave the hole open for air to enter the drain. Maybe drill the hole a little bigger. Drain will only go full siphon if there is no air going down the pipe. Do you only have 1 drain on your setup?
 
Sounds like my old drain, I hated it but if you put a good quality valve at the exit you can adjust will help with all the noise. If I'm understanding the problem correctly anyway
 
Exactly ^. Needs more air. Larger hole at the top of the durso. I wouldn't restrict the drain pipe with a ball valve, for fear of an obstruction causing a flood IMHO.
 
122b8491539aadaa6e7f5f3296c23cba.jpg


I would cover your overflow box as well to keep fish and snails out.
 
Exactly ^. Needs more air. Larger hole at the top of the durso. I wouldn't restrict the drain pipe with a ball valve, for fear of an obstruction causing a flood IMHO.
Looks like your drain is going full siphon every so often. No need for that airline on a durso setup. Just leave the hole open for air to enter the drain. Maybe drill the hole a little bigger. Drain will only go full siphon if there is no air going down the pipe. Do you only have 1 drain on your setup?

Ok perfect. I will drill it one size bigger to see what that does. I have 2 overflow boxes with 2-1.5in dorso drain pipes.

Tank 6-20-17.jpg
 
Ok perfect. I will drill it one size bigger to see what that does. I have 2 overflow boxes with 2-1.5in dorso drain pipes.

Tank 6-20-17.jpg


Also, if your right side drain pipe is too horizontal, flat, level to the floor, it can trap air in it causing an air pocket causing the same problem. Solution is to have it slant slightly down towards the sump. Your left looks like a strait shot down to the sump.
 
Here are some pictures below of what the pipes look like. I am waiting for my 20v battery to charge a little more so I can drill a bigger hole.

So after drilling a bigger hole, I don't need airline tubing?

20170624_173819.jpg
20170603_200158.jpg
20170611_210245.jpg
20170603_200121.jpg
 
Their nice to have! Other than my 125, the largest tank I've owned was a 200 gal Oceanic back in 94. :)
 
240 gallons would call for a throughput in the sump of anywhere between 480 GPH and 960 GPH.

If you're at maximum, you could be pushing closer to 2000 GPH.


That's just to say you may have a lot of room to turn it down without worrying about feeding the sump.

The durso's should be completely silent at those flow rates....if not remove them.

Four 1.5" drains should be able to move a lot more water than what you're pushing though, so there's still a mystery.....just maybe not one that really needs to be solved. ;)
 
I think the OP said he has two 1.5 drains. Either way, they should be able to handle more flow than his pump will put out, especially running it at 1/4 power.

As for the durso stand pipes, I have never been able to get them quiet. If noise and reliability is an issue for you, I suggest you look into changing your setup to run either Herbie or Bean Animal style drains.
 
240 gallons would call for a throughput in the sump of anywhere between 480 GPH and 960 GPH.

If you're at maximum, you could be pushing closer to 2000 GPH.


That's just to say you may have a lot of room to turn it down without worrying about feeding the sump.

The durso's should be completely silent at those flow rates....if not remove them.

Four 1.5" drains should be able to move a lot more water than what you're pushing though, so there's still a mystery.....just maybe not one that really needs to be solved. ;)
I think the OP said he has two 1.5 drains. Either way, they should be able to handle more flow than his pump will put out, especially running it at 1/4 power.

As for the durso stand pipes, I have never been able to get them quiet. If noise and reliability is an issue for you, I suggest you look into changing your setup to run either Herbie or Bean Animal style drains.

The tank I came from was a 75g. I got this one custom done by glasscages (amazing job on my tank at least, was worried with all the rumors about them). I made the dorso standpipe myself, after many trips to Lowe's (I'm definitely not a plumber).

Since I got it up and cycling (1 to 1.5 months), there was no sound what so ever, then today out of no where. I ended up turn the pump down to 1 led (lowest you can go). Was going to drill tonight, but if something went wrong I would want to fix it right now. 3am is coming awfully fast, lol. I will let yall know what happens mid day tomorrow.
 
Your water is probably getting a little foamy inside the drains as nutrients and bacterial films, etc all start to naturally build up.

When the foam+water takes up all the air space in the pipe, a siphon is established that draws the water down in the drain box.

Anything you can do to make the shot from the drains to the sump more direct than it already is?

This might pass in it's own due time, or it might be normal, BTW.

I don't think drilling will help.....but removing the hoses might.
 
Your water is probably getting a little foamy inside the drains as nutrients and bacterial films, etc all start to naturally build up.

When the foam+water takes up all the air space in the pipe, a siphon is established that draws the water down in the drain box.

Anything you can do to make the shot from the drains to the sump more direct than it already is?

This might pass in it's own due time, or it might be normal, BTW.

I don't think drilling will help.....but removing the hoses might.


It may or may not help, but he's definitely getting a vacuum effect, needs more air water mix. Not much room in the stand, maybe placing the sump more in the middle, shortening the the drain pipes and angling the pipes down more than horizontal will help. Maybe spa flex instead of ridged pvc pipe with less 90* elbows.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top