Green water on tap: Where does your phyto come from?

Where does your phyto come from? (select all that apply)

  • DIY – I grow my own.

    Votes: 59 29.9%
  • Local fish store (LFS).

    Votes: 25 12.7%
  • Online – one at a time batches.

    Votes: 50 25.4%
  • Online subscription.

    Votes: 16 8.1%
  • I don’t use phyto.

    Votes: 56 28.4%
  • Other

    Votes: 3 1.5%

  • Total voters
    197

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2014
Messages
21,631
Reaction score
165,374
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Green water on tap: Where does your phyto come from?

Many reef keepers add phytoplankton (sometimes referred to as “phyto”) and zooplankton to their tanks. These additions bring many benefits including food for the fish and corals as well as beneficial treatment for the water in the tank. Some people choose to culture their own phyto, others buy it online or from a local fish store, and some even set up subscriptions for regular delivery. If you choose to add phyto to your tank, where does your phyto come from?

MNFish_Phyto.jpeg

Photo by @MNFish


This QOTD is sponsored by: www.topshelfaquatics.com
TSABanner2.jpeg

“Top Shelf Aquatics helps you feel confident in the quality, reliability, and consistency of getting everything you need for a perfect saltwater aquarium. From corals and fish to inverts and aquarium supplies, you can count on us to provide you with a seamless reefing experience.”
 
GREEN WATER TESTS.PNG


Started with FW as a means to grow Daphnia as well as raising fry. Was going to transition to salt for Clown breeding but room became priority for a family member and that nixed everything.

Going to setup something outside and leverage the sun to power my cultures. Research has it that green water filters out certain heavy metals and contaminants and perhaps have a FW culture going as well off rain water which might provide a solution for top off once filtered through 5 micron or smaller to remove the single cell algae. Might also run it through Ultrafiltration as that filters down to .025 microns. No clue what's in our rain but I know Julian Sprung has an outdoor salt pond which relies on rain to perform WC therefore it might be a cheap and effective solution to top off. KISS my approach.
 
I am trying to grow my own. Still doing ALOT of research, especially on lighting and the spectrum that is really needed to grow healthy Phyto and Cope pods.
As for now I do get my phyto from @Reef By Steele
 
Last edited:
I have fed phyto in a bottle from fish store but I doubt there is much living in it so don't really use that now. My tank is teeming with pods so I am not going to worry too much about supplementing phyto.
 
I currently grow my own Phyto with pretty fair success. $50+ every month for a bottle of phyto and pods from Algaebarn wasn't doing it for me, so that's why I decided to culture my own, since my tanks are small and a batch will last me several weeks.

I started with a bottle of Nannochloropsis from Mercer of Montana after attempting to grow something with the Ocean Magic I was ordering (I know it's a mix, but it's what I had at the time.) The nanno was so rich and dark, it was a perfect starter culture.

Now every 3-4 weeks, I start up a new batch from the 8oz bottle I snag fresh from the previous batch, and pour that into a liter of fresh salt water and let it cook with some Guillard's F/2 for about a week. It usually gives me enough to go another 3-4 weeks before I need to brew a new batch again. I've been growing fresh batches from that initial starter since June, so... like 4-5 batches now.
 
I started culturing my own to raise rotifers for clownfish fry. Then decided I should raise copepods also because we have a lot of “Pod Hunters” in our 6 DT. Kept going a little bigger and a little bigger until I had leftovers so started selling. Became a R2R sponsor and now we produce way more than we can use.

Check out this link as to the benefits of phyto in your tank.

 
I setup a phyto growout in my fish closet. I usually have 4 gallons going at once.
IMG_5643.JPEG
IMG_5620(1).JPEG
IMG_5532.JPEG
I just buy a 3-pack of distilled water from the hardware... 1/4 cup of salt mix in a gallon and 200ml f/2 and its ready to go.
 
Hello,
What lighting do you use?
t12 4' led grow lights; also from the hardware store! an old fixture I had laying about.
 
Mine came all the way from Singapore because Thailand is ridiculous about having anything live imported...not like there's phytoplankton everywhere in tropical countries.
 
I stopped feeding phyto as well as reef roids because I have too many spirorbid worms and vermetid snails. Trying to reduce free floating food.
 
EasyBooster and EasySPS.
I use to grow my own tetraselmis, but changed to this more simple but not live phyto dosing
 
I setup a phyto growout in my fish closet. I usually have 4 gallons going at once.
IMG_5643.JPEG
IMG_5620(1).JPEG
IMG_5532.JPEG
I just buy a 3-pack of distilled water from the hardware... 1/4 cup of salt mix in a gallon and 200ml f/2 and its ready to go.
200ml F/2 per gallon? I only use 2ml per gallon.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top