Gulf live rock shipment in...and some ID ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Solga
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Joined
Oct 20, 2021
Messages
212
Reaction score
373
Location
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post pictures as soon as they load up, but I just got a shipment of gulf love rock in today. On one hand, I have never got live ocean rock before, so I have nothing to compare it to. On the other hand, I couldn't be happier about the look, and the quality of this rock !!
As soon as it was delivered, I opened the box and got to work. I had (2) 5 gallon buckets of RODI saltwater ready to start rinsing. After the really wet paper towel was pulled off, I started grabbing each rock, swishing it around in the first bucket, then a swish & rinse in the second bucket, and then into the spare 10g, where it will sit and cure for a while.
Overall, there is A LOT of life on these rocks that I have never seen before !! I had a whole bunch of brittle stars, that I thought were dead, but started moving around shortly after submerging in the premade saltwater. So in the tank they went. Found a couple other star fish that I'm not real sure on the Id of, but I know they are stars. Lol
There are quite a few coral on these rock too...not quite sure of their ID either, but I will post pictures shortly.

Just wanted to make a thread and show everyone what I got

PXL_20220310_235053999.jpg PXL_20220310_231526917.jpg PXL_20220310_234040159.jpg PXL_20220310_173322930.jpg PXL_20220310_173010389.jpg
 
Beautiful! I hope you can keep the rose coral alive! They are great.
I hope I can keep everything alive !! Lol.
So, exactly which one is the rose coral :D
Score!
Thanks for posting this.
How many pounds is there?
This is the nano package, which is supposed to be 17 pounds. I say supposed to be, because I didn't weigh them all to tell for sure, but I am more than happy with what I got.
 
Congratulations! Exciting times ahead. You'll pass nights looking at all the weird new things coming out of that rock. Some stuff you might never ID, but that's OK, because it's all a little piece of your ocean!
 
Number two pic is rose coral and they are illegal to collect. The only way you can get them legit is by purchasing rock like this. It will be beautiful!
Awesome !!! I have some research to do, and am going to make it a top priority to keep alive then !!!
Thank you for the info !
 
Pic 2 also has a nice size aptasia lol ,the gulf aptasia spread liek wildfire

Do you mean pic 3? That might be a curlique nem. I have a couple on mine. Don't think they spread like aiptasia.
 
Pic 2 also has a nice size aptasia lol ,the gulf aptasia spread liek wildfire
I will have to look at that rock (and pic) a little closer when I get home. I am currentlyly at work right now. I didn't see any aiptasia on the 2nd pic but I did see (what I thought) aiptasia in the 3rd pic, next to the ?? LPS looking coral with the green in it.

I will take a few more pics later, because there is something that came attached to one of the rocks, that I have absolutely no clue what it is. It is kinda shaped like a prune, and has slowly inflated and deflated a few times, while I was at home watching it. The texture is kinda like a prune too...soft, yet seems to have some kind of 'skin' that has Coraline (maybe) on it also. If you look close enough at the front left most rock, you can see it, but I will take more pics later also.
One other thing I don't quite understand, is with the blue light only, I see a LOT of orange florescent something on the rocks, but the biggest patch of orange, doesn't floresce at all
 
I will have to look at that rock (and pic) a little closer when I get home. I am currentlyly at work right now. I didn't see any aiptasia on the 2nd pic but I did see (what I thought) aiptasia in the 3rd pic, next to the ?? LPS looking coral with the green in it.

I will take a few more pics later, because there is something that came attached to one of the rocks, that I have absolutely no clue what it is. It is kinda shaped like a prune, and has slowly inflated and deflated a few times, while I was at home watching it. The texture is kinda like a prune too...soft, yet seems to have some kind of 'skin' that has Coraline (maybe) on it also. If you look close enough at the front left most rock, you can see it, but I will take more pics later also.
One other thing I don't quite understand, is with the blue light only, I see a LOT of orange florescent something on the rocks, but the biggest patch of orange, doesn't floresce at all
Sorry ye meant pic # 3 lol and ye it looks
Exactly
Like
My aptasia I got firm gulf live rock can see them behind rock
 

Attachments

  • 7ADAC359-FF9C-4582-927D-D4A7602F6584.jpeg
    7ADAC359-FF9C-4582-927D-D4A7602F6584.jpeg
    253.2 KB · Views: 423
Number two pic is rose coral and they are illegal to collect. The only way you can get them legit is by purchasing rock like this. It will be beautiful!
thanks for IDing that for him, i got some of that on mine too.
 
Ok, does anyone have any kind of idea what this 'thing' may be ? It is a little longer than my thumb and when it is puffed up (like in these pics) it is a little bigger around than a US quarter. It's coloring is just like the rock that it is attached to, but it's not hard like the rock. Like in the last pic of my first post, It does seem to deflate and just lay up against the glass when the lights come on. I am at a loss on even trying to guess what this thing might be....
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20220311_142333622.jpg
    PXL_20220311_142333622.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 418
  • PXL_20220311_142740596.jpg
    PXL_20220311_142740596.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 318
  • PXL_20220311_142231037.jpg
    PXL_20220311_142231037.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 309
Gorgonian(spelling) likes flow and low light.
 

Attachments

  • 31A88CB5-1B87-4E00-B29B-383C903FC6F9.jpeg
    31A88CB5-1B87-4E00-B29B-383C903FC6F9.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 337
Gorgonian(spelling) likes flow and low light.
Thank you for that ID ! I was thinking along the lines of gorgonian, but the polyp shapes threw me off a bit. For some reason, I was expecting the polyps to look a bit more ... hairy.
 
Very Nice! Live rock has to be half the fun of setting up a new tank. You'll be surprised what you discover in the rock over the next weeks/months. I came across a good size porcelain crab last week after having the rock in a 10 gallon holding tank for a month. It looks like you have a nice sized star coral.

Gulf Live Rock Hitchhikers
 
Very Nice! Live rock has to be half the fun of setting up a new tank. You'll be surprised what you discover in the rock over the next weeks/months. I came across a good size porcelain crab last week after having the rock in a 10 gallon holding tank for a month. It looks like you have a nice sized star coral.

Gulf Live Rock Hitchhikers
Thank you for the response, AND the link !! I'm not sure how I missed that when I was looking through their website, but I sure did ! I still haven't figured out exactly what one of my hitch hikers is ... So I will just create a separate thread for it. Someone gave me an idea of what it could be, but my research on it is coming up short...
 
Ok, does anyone have any kind of idea what this 'thing' may be ? It is a little longer than my thumb and when it is puffed up (like in these pics) it is a little bigger around than a US quarter. It's coloring is just like the rock that it is attached to, but it's not hard like the rock. Like in the last pic of my first post, It does seem to deflate and just lay up against the glass when the lights come on. I am at a loss on even trying to guess what this thing might be....

Possibly a leathery sea squirt, just with various growth on it.

 
Possibly a leathery sea squirt, just with various growth on it.

Thank you for the response !!
I literally just created a new topic for this, because I had not been able to get an ID on this. You are the second person to say it could possibly be a sea squirt/tunicate. I may just end up calling it that. The only issue that I am having with that idea though, is that I can only find one opening on this .... thing. Lol
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top