Hair algae killing my coral please help. Please.

An RODI water filters tap water into clean fresh water that can be used for your tank. Tap water goes into the system and the different filter stages remove all of the “stuff” like chlorine, silicates, harmful metals, etc. from the water. The end result is zero tds water. TDS stands for total dissolved solids. These dissolved solids include chlorine, phosphate, silicate, metals, etc. thta you don’t want in your tank. So the filtered water will be pure water (H2O) and nothing else. That way, you choose what you add to the water like salt mix etc., and you start with a pure product rather than dirty tap water. Homeless this helps, if you have any more questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
 
Controlled feeding, 5 turbo snails, 1 tuxedo urchin, and 2 emerald crabs.... it'll clean up your tank wonderful and your tank will be full of life
My turbo snails are almost too big for my tank, the poop piles are a nuisance
 
So my uv should help out a decent amount, I feel like the back of the tank is so stationary the poop piles up and maybe that relates to recent fish loss
I have low gph power head on bottom of my tank in corner blowing directly behind my rock scape
 
I have low gph power head on bottom of my tank in corner blowing directly behind my rock scape
I have the stock power head, and it blows to the front of the tank off the glass to create good flow for my coral
 
Water from the ocean directly,, it has every bacteria that you can think of,, I get twenty buckets at a time 5gal each last two months give or take
And where do you obtain the water?
 
I have had my tank about 8 months now and it cycled for the first 4-5 months with live rock, then I added a clown and waited a month, now I have 2 designer clowns, an angel fish, 5 healthy corals and 2 that are struggling greatly. Hair algae refuses to give up on my tank no matter what I do. Honestly I’ve done hours of research and nothing works, seems like everytime I think I got rid of it it just shows up somewhere else... I’m so tired of it and I can’t loose anymore coral to it. I do weekly 10% water changes, I test my water, ( I don’t have any calcium or magnesium test kits, but are shipping to my house right now) i manually try to pick the hair algae myself but seems like I can’t suck it all up or capture it in time because it just grows on another rock. I will take any suggestions before my tank suffers to greatly
image.jpg
f
image.jpg
image.jpg
buy urchins I had very bad hairline alage and the 3 urchins I bought killed it
 
Pincushion Urchins Plus Hair Algae Equals Pincushion Urchin Not Hungry...
 
so the turbo snails fixed your issue?
 
I ‘hired’ a Sea Hare from my LFS - took care of the problem in a little over a week. When you take it back you get 50% credit.
In my setup I have a decent size CUC
5 peppermint shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
12 blue legged hermit crabs
6 red legged hermit crabs
15ish nasseris snails
1 sea cucumber
1 lawnmower blenny
And a brownish red hermit crab lil bigger than a golf ball

And I still have brown hair algae problems now n then
Here’s a pic of 2 other hermit crabs I have (in a separate tank)
The one has a live barnacle on it it’s pretty cool to see it breathe

image.jpg image.jpg
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top