Halides on for 8hrs a day. No growth ?

I run 8hrs halides 9hrs or3.

On my standard 120 I run 2 250 watt de 14k phoenix and have no trouble growing acros on the bottom. I have 2 or3 light bars also.
Halides are 14.5" from the surface to the bulb.
Ph has run 7.9-8.1 for 2.5 years with no issues.
Tanks 2.5 years old.
10% WC once a month.
Carx
EZ trace dosed daily.
Alk 8.0
Ca 410
Mag 1350
Po4<.1
No3<5
20211213_161250.jpg
halides are on for 8hrs a day and OR3 (x2) are on for 12 hrs a day. i chanjge 25 gallons a week on 225 gallon total water volume.
 
Whats your flow like?
I slowly increased my flow over the years and it had an impact on growth.
I run 6 powerheads.
5 on random 100% flow
1 only comes on when light are on at 100%.
 
I just adjusted the gyre to hit the surface of water to hopefully raise PH


It will only raise pH if the air in the room has enough oxygen and low concentrations of carbon dioxide. This is why some people run the airline for their skimmers directly outside or use co2 scrubbers. I use kalkwasser for supplementing as it has a higher pH than sodium carbonate and you don't have to dose a 2nd solution for calcium. It alone won't raise it too much, but it'll have a bigger impact in conjuction with other methods.
 
250 to 450
Checked with an apogee par meter??

I ask bc I know someone with a $100k tank but used a diy lux meter to check his par. Thought it was 300-400. Borrowed an apogee and discovered it was actually 650-750
 
I just realized your tank is 60".
3 250's may just be to much light?
Thats alot of crossover light and your par may be much higher as suggested above.
Maybe reduce halides to 6hrs and or3's to 9hrs and see the results.
 
How much are you having to supplement?

Approx how many dKH is your CaRx supplying every day?

That's is yo say if you turned your C02 off, would your alk go down?
 
I run 8hrs halides 9hrs or3.

On my standard 120 I run 2 250 watt de 14k phoenix and have no trouble growing acros on the bottom. I have 2 or3 light bars also.
Halides are 14.5" from the surface to the bulb.
Ph has run 7.9-8.1 for 2.5 years with no issues.
Tanks 2.5 years old.
10% WC once a month.
Carx
EZ trace dosed daily.
Alk 8.0
Ca 410
Mag 1350
Po4<.1
No3<5
20211213_161250.jpg
Look at those STICKS!
 
When I did sps, I ran 250 MH and T5s. I would only run MH 4 hours a day and T5s for 8-9hrs. My stuff grew nicely. I had high flow and also a Ca Rx.

I think you probably are not seeing a light issue, but more of a water and/or flow issue. Maybe not feeding enough or the corals are not adapting well. Are they mostly wild caught, maricultured, aquacultured/tank raised? This can impact how fast they adjust too.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top