Over the past few months I noticed what looked like a fleshy appendage on the bottom of the tentacles of my hammer. At first I thought that something had injured my hammer and that it was a dead tentacle since it is a completely different color (off white like dead tissue). Today while observing the tank I took a closer look since the colony has continued to grow and thrive and my question to anyone out there is, is this s means of propagation? The more I look at it the more it looks like it’s getting closer to the rock and it appears to have independent tentacles of it’s own. Any opinions?
It could be dropping a head that will attach to the rock and become a new coral. I had my hammer do something similar a couple times. Went to move it and it left pieces behind.
It could be dropping a head that will attach to the rock and become a new coral. I had my hammer do something similar a couple times. Went to move it and it left pieces behind.
That’s what I was suspecting. You can clearly see it’s like a bailed out head but still attached to the main colony. I didn’t know that euphyllia did that, just another reason I love this hobby. Keeps surprising you out of the blue.