Hammers and clowns... what type might be best?

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 9, 2020
Messages
1,030
Reaction score
1,772
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a pathetic clown that has tried to move in to beautiful trachy and now I have the trachy in a breeding container to keep it protected. Got the clown because my wife wanted one and keeping her happy with the tank is just a good idea. The clown is pathetic because it just swims around mostly on one side of the tank toward the back. Healthy, absolutely. Happy - not. I am not willing to put an anemone in there because I don't want my corals stung or to have to put foam covers on my powerheads.

So, I will be ordering a hammer for the clown. My question is - does the type matter (wall versus branching)? I think that branching types grow faster, but will one type or the other work better for a clown? If you have experience with clowns and hammers, please chime in!
 
I won’t matter, clowns are known to host a lot of things. The trick is to get the clown to host it and not the trachy when you move it back in…
 
Don’t get a wall, they have a tendency to just die after a few months. Branching tends to do better long term (easier to frag off diseased heads). Frog or hammer are both fine, mine hosts a torch, but I’m lucky she hasn’t killed it.
 
That's the kind of info that I am after. I figured branching types were probably preferred, if for nothing else than passing around the annoyance of being snuggled all the time to more than one individual. Thanks folks!
 
Here is mine in a 20 head frogspawn. I had this clown in my nano 5 years ago. Then it went into my 120 and now my 45 frag system. It wont go very far from the frogspawn.
The frogspawn was 4 heads 5 years ago. I even tried a bubble tip nem but nope.
20210803_165156.jpg
 
My clowns are hosted by a neon toadstool after being offered everything else. I learned that placement is key for them to be hosted. Just put whatever you decide back where they live. Mine chose a powerhead for 9+ months before I put a toadstool in their corner.
 
So I have a pathetic clown that has tried to move in to beautiful trachy and now I have the trachy in a breeding container to keep it protected. Got the clown because my wife wanted one and keeping her happy with the tank is just a good idea. The clown is pathetic because it just swims around mostly on one side of the tank toward the back. Healthy, absolutely. Happy - not. I am not willing to put an anemone in there because I don't want my corals stung or to have to put foam covers on my powerheads.

So, I will be ordering a hammer for the clown. My question is - does the type matter (wall versus branching)? I think that branching types grow faster, but will one type or the other work better for a clown? If you have experience with clowns and hammers, please chime in!
If you're choosing to get a hammer for the clown, unless it's a large colony with many heads (like shown above) to distribute the harassment, Just know you are likely sentencing it to death.

Clowns will and do kill euphyllia just trying to love up on them.
 
Here is mine in a 20 head frogspawn. I had this clown in my nano 5 years ago. Then it went into my 120 and now my 45 frag system. It wont go very far from the frogspawn.
The frogspawn was 4 heads 5 years ago. I even tried a bubble tip nem but nope.
20210803_165156.jpg
I know that feeling I bough a BTA for my clown to protect it because it’s freaked out by my wrasse but he won’t host it.
 
I know that feeling I bough a BTA for my clown to protect it because it’s freaked out by my wrasse but he won’t host it.
It takes time, and may not happen. Clowns are weird little guys. I've had a BTA in a tank with a clown for 6 months and the clown still prefers to hang out by a wavemaker
 
I’ve heard elegance, toadstools, and Duncan’s work for clowns too!

Also, don’t hate the poor clown. Not her fault they’re goofy lol
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top