Harlequin tusk/red breasted wrasse. Bad idea ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CC_N
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

CC_N

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 8, 2022
Messages
167
Reaction score
159
Location
Vietnam
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm stocking my FOWLR aquarium. Im thinking of a Harlequin tusk(pretty hard to find here) or a red breasted wrasse. Will those eats small fishes(chromis/anthias size) ? I have heard mixed "reviews" about harlequin tusk but have no info about red breasted
 
I have a red breasted that destroys crabs, shrimp snails ect , it would have to be quite large to eat a fish
 
I'm stocking my FOWLR aquarium. Im thinking of a Harlequin tusk(pretty hard to find here) or a red breasted wrasse. Will those eats small fishes(chromis/anthias size) ? I have heard mixed "reviews" about harlequin tusk but have no info about red breasted
IMO they are one of the best fish for a FOWLR. They wont eat things like chromis or Anthias no but they will eat some shrimp and tiny tiny fish like tiny gobies occasionally but even that they would need to be on the hunt to do which they normally don’t.
 
I'm stocking my FOWLR aquarium. Im thinking of a Harlequin tusk(pretty hard to find here) or a red breasted wrasse. Will those eats small fishes(chromis/anthias size) ? I have heard mixed "reviews" about harlequin tusk but have no info about red breasted
They are actually one of the shyest fish species even though their appearance wouldn’t hint it. It’s a beautiful fish and highly recommend. What size tank do you have?
 
Thank you for the infos. A FO def not gonna have some Trimma in it lol. my tank is a 300gallon which have some Barletts and Bimac anthias in there too.
 
IMO they are one of the best fish for a FOWLR. They wont eat things like chromis or Anthias no but they will eat some shrimp and tiny tiny fish like tiny gobies occasionally but even that they would need to be on the hunt to do which they normally don’t.
I dont have any inverts in my tank. thank you btw
 
I would not add any wrasse after it once it is settled in.
 
like, ANY wrasse ?
including fairy wrasses and stuff ?

A tusk in in the wrasse family and may not take kindly once it’s been there a bit.

The school here has a very large tank, they tried to add a yellow coris wrasse after it… it bit right down the middle and killed it.

If you add them while the tusk is small or add them before the tusk… then it will probably be fine.

Acclimation box should help too.

Fish are also individuals to be fair as well.

I would personally just plan out my additions accordingly or buy a small tusk to give me time.
 
Last edited:
A tusk in in the wrasse family and may not take kindly once it’s been there a bit.

The school here has a very large tank, they tried to add a yellow coris wrasse after it… it bit right down the middle and killed it.

If you add them while the tusk is small or add them before the tusk… then it will probably be fine.

Acclimation box should help too.

Fish are also individuals to be fair as well.

I would personally just plan out my additions accordingly or buy a small tusk to give me time.
Thank you a lot !
 
I'm stocking my FOWLR aquarium. Im thinking of a Harlequin tusk(pretty hard to find here) or a red breasted wrasse. Will those eats small fishes(chromis/anthias size) ? I have heard mixed "reviews" about harlequin tusk but have no info about red breasted
Both will eat shrimp and smaller crabs. My Harlequin could not care less about the snails. I have 8 clowns in the tank and harlequin doesnt even look at them
 
Th
A tusk in in the wrasse family and may not take kindly once it’s been there a bit.

The school here has a very large tank, they tried to add a yellow coris wrasse after it… it bit right down the middle and killed it.

If you add them while the tusk is small or add them before the tusk… then it will probably be fine.

Acclimation box should help too.

Fish are also individuals to be fair as well.

I would personally just plan out my additions accordingly or buy a small tusk to give me time.
That may just be the case for that one fish.
 
@Tamberav I woudlnt say no other wrasse. I know plenty of people who have owned Tusks with other wrasse with just a few territorial disputes.

Ya I was in a hurry when I posted that. I just meant I would add the other wrasses before the tusk ideally.
 
After seeing a red breastfed wrasse in person, I am pretty sure they are the same fish, different colors. Same body type and tail.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top