Has anyone had their torch change color like this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Yurkin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Yurkin

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 15, 2022
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
Woodinville
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had their torches lose color in the period of 2 weeks? Other Euphyllias seem to be fine.what could be causing this? And how to get the color back?

B3EE6DF2-79E9-47E0-94BB-ACE794C7F787.jpeg 8ABC8BA3-6AB3-486E-96CD-8FCE88142D79.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I had 1 torch that slowly lost it's color from what the seller had it.
I've talked with a couple high end torch vendors and some have a pretty intense dosing routine with a lot of different additives.
My guess would be if you could contact the seller and ask what exactly dosing they did, maybe do the same lighting schedule ( and brand) you might get the color back as it was.
 
Where is your PO4 sitting?

I have had torches loose color quickly. PO4 was unreadably high after dual GFO reactor clogged.
PO4
Where is your PO4 sitting?

I have had torches loose color quickly. PO4 was unreadably high after dual GFO reactor clogged.
PO4 is low. 0.08 last time I measured. I use Rowa to bring it down. My nitrates are really high. They are at 40+. Just started NoPoX to bring them dow.
 
I had 1 torch that slowly lost it's color from what the seller had it.
I've talked with a couple high end torch vendors and some have a pretty intense dosing routine with a lot of different additives.
My guess would be if you could contact the seller and ask what exactly dosing they did, maybe do the same lighting schedule ( and brand) you might get the color back as it was.
I’m dosing ATI 2 part, Red Sea AB+, brightwell Koral Color. Running Radion at 200 par for one torch and the other is sitting at about 140 par
 
PO4

PO4 is low. 0.08 last time I measured. I use Rowa to bring it down. My nitrates are really high. They are at 40+. Just started NoPoX to bring them dow.
FWIW....

With a phosphate reading that low, NOPOX probably won't work to bring down the nitrates.
 
FWIW....

With a phosphate reading that low, NOPOX probably won't work to bring down the nitrates.
Any suggestions on how to bring down the nitrates without waiting weeks for something like bio pellets to start working?
 
Water changes.

NOPOX works, but at your level, you will be phosphate limited.

Meaning you will drop nitrates up until you run out of phosphates. Then you can dose all the nopox you want, but your levels will not move and you'll have an unsightly bacterial bloom.

What most people that carbon dose end up doing, is dosing phosphates till they are at a level of nitrate they like.
 
I’m dosing ATI 2 part, Red Sea AB+, brightwell Koral Color. Running Radion at 200 par for one torch and the other is sitting at about 140 par
Both of the vendors I spoke to had a pretty extensive dosing routine. Kind of excessive IMO. Down to specific mls of individual elements. But they had the really bright yellow and gold colors.
 
I have found over the years and even heard this from high end torch vendors. Higher par = gold and yellows pop and get deeper colors. Lower par and they tend to fade. I have seen it for myself and at the moment I have over 50 torches. They love higher par over 175-225 range. Of course this is hand in hand with water chemistry and feeding regiment.
the gold and HG torches I have closest to the surface have nicer and deeper coloring over the same colony further down the tank. No more sand placement For me on the deeper tank.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top