Has anyone tried Brightwells NitratR resin?

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 30, 2012
Messages
1,912
Reaction score
1,542
Location
Plymouth
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
saw this at a LFS yesterday....pretty pricy locally, but wondered if anyone had tried it and what kind of results you had gotten...
 
Ive not tried it or heard from anyone who did, but I'm skeptical how well it binds nitrate from seawater where there is lots of chloride ion (and sulfate ion) present (which is how it is regenerated: by placing it in a chloride solution). Admittedly, the regeneration solution is more concentrated than seawater, but the concept is the same; chloride competes with nitrate for positively charged binding sites.

I'm curious to see if anyone has used it and seen a rapid decline in nitrate.

FWIW, nitrate is an unusually difficult ion to selectively bind in this fashion.
 
Last edited:
I just took it out of my sump. It didn't really seem to do anything. But my nitrates weren't super high to begin with. And I was only using it in a media bag.
 
Ive not tried it or heard from anyone who did, but I'm skeptical how well it binds nitrate from seawater where there is lots of chloride ion (and sulfate ion) present (which is how it is regenerated: by placing it in a chloride solution). Admittedly, the regeneration solution is more concentrated than seawater, but the concept is the same; chloride competes with nitrate for positively charged binding sites.

I'm curious to see if anyone has used it and seen a rapid decline in nitrate.

FWIW, nitrate is an unusually difficult ion to selectively bind in this fashion.
.... I kind of thought the same thing....I know there are gfo binding resins, but I am pretty sure they bind differently than nitrate ( I will defer to you on that, as I am no expert) it was 90.00 for a bag and thought what a good idea....if it worked....we seem to be embedding a lot of stuff these days into resin beads... Thanks for the thoughts....I wasn't sure it would work either :)
 
Coralife Nitrate Controller
 
How does it work? I always battle nitrates because I love fish, lol and love to feed them.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top