Has anyone used kalkwasser on a dosing pump?

What would be a good starting dose for kalk in a 45g
We would really need an idea of consumption and coral load. I still use my kalk in an ATO but it’s at maximum concentration and I still have to supplement with 2 part.
 
I dose kalk with a Litremeter III. The 24 hour dose is slightly less than my minimum evaporation rate. The ATO makes up the rest. That way, I get a stable dose regardless of the seasonal evaporation rate changes.
 
Right now if I go to much kalk it raises my calcium which sits at 470-480

If you do nothing, what is the alkalinity and is it dropping day to day or week to week?

If not, you do not need any.
 
Following along this thread... trying to get a sense for the feasibility of SOLEY dosing (via a doser) kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide) and supplemented with water changes twice/month to replenish nutrients.

IM Nuvo 40 gallon setup with about 10 LPS and 6 small but growing SPS frags.
 
This was my wb 42.5 on kalk only and bi week water changes. At the one and a half year mark.
 

Attachments

  • BE7024B9-5AE7-4CBA-A93C-B93939DD895A.jpeg
    BE7024B9-5AE7-4CBA-A93C-B93939DD895A.jpeg
    211.6 KB · Views: 73
  • A55FDC45-B55A-42A4-881F-BEA8C2BE9A1E.jpeg
    A55FDC45-B55A-42A4-881F-BEA8C2BE9A1E.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 72
Following along this thread... trying to get a sense for the feasibility of SOLEY dosing (via a doser) kalkwasser (calcium hydroxide) and supplemented with water changes twice/month to replenish nutrients.

IM Nuvo 40 gallon setup with about 10 LPS and 6 small but growing SPS frags.

IMO, it can satisify the needs for calcium and alk in many mixed tanks (it did in mine), but you may benefit from dosed trace elements (e.g., iron).
 
How is everyone mixing up their kalk? I've put up to 14 teaspoons in a 5g jug and I can't get it concentrated enough. I'm dosing so much volume to maintain alk at 9 that my ato barely ever goes off.
 
IMO, it can satisify the needs for calcium and alk in many mixed tanks (it did in mine), but you may benefit from dosed trace elements (e.g., iron).
Thanks. My only concern with kalk is killing my Tunze 3155 ATO pump and or interfering with its optical sensor. The latter happened to me when dosing kalk via the ATO.
 
How is everyone mixing up their kalk? I've put up to 14 teaspoons in a 5g jug and I can't get it concentrated enough. I'm dosing so much volume to maintain alk at 9 that my ato barely ever goes off.
2 teaspoons per gallon is about saturated. Adding more will not dissolve.
 
How is everyone mixing up their kalk? I've put up to 14 teaspoons in a 5g jug and I can't get it concentrated enough. I'm dosing so much volume to maintain alk at 9 that my ato barely ever goes off.
As Randy said, only about 10 teaspoons would dissolve in a 5 gallon jug, although a little extra doesn't hurt.

I add the dry powder first (not the textbook adding acid or base to water), then pour in the water and stir well, then don't touch again.

You might consider letting the alk drift down to 7 or so. The consumption may drop a bit. There will be less precipitation, although possibly a little slower growth. You can also use kalk *only, and then bolus dose alk every once in a while, so you don't have to set up another doser for alk.
 
2 teaspoons per gallon is about saturated. Adding more will not dissolve.
That's what I figured but when I checked with an EC pen, it only measured above 8.3. No matter how much more kalk I add, I can't get it to 10.3. I'm thinking of going back to dosing it through my ato and then supplementing through the doser to keep my alk where I want it to be. Since switching to the doser method, my ph has been tanking.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top