Has the Ignitor in my MH Ballast Died?

undermind

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 17, 2018
Messages
391
Reaction score
560
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a Blue Wave M80 magnetic dual metal halide ballast running two radium bulbs in a Hamilton Cebu Sun. One of the two ballasts stopped firing Radium bulbs. It lights other bulbs, such as some older bulbs I had lying around. But not a Radium.

I'm curious if the ignitor in the ballast has died. I'm no MH expert so I'm not sure about this. But I've read that these HQI bulbs require an ignitor found in a M80 magnetic ballast.
 
Take the cover off and swap the ignitor on the two sides. If the other side fires, then yes. If you are worried then take lots of photos with your phone and throw them out later.

Ignitors are cheap and easy to replace. If you plan on keeping the lights, then get two... one to replace this one and one for the next time to have ready.

Radium are not able to start themselves like some bulbs can which have ignitors in the glass housing.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top