Have You Used Rock from A Purple Reef?

nickkohrn

Corals for President 2020
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2018
Messages
1,903
Reaction score
5,121
Location
Lima, OH
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just came across A Purple Reef, and I like the look of the rock. Has anyone used it? There doesn’t seem to be much about it online, but what I did find were positive reviews about it on YouTube. Here is a link to their store: https://www.apurplereef.com/apps/webstore/

Thoughts?
 
Not saying this man-made Rock would have any problem but my experience about 10 years ago with a company out of Florida I'm not going to name it but they send me some custom-made rock that I wanted for a special Aquascape. That rock drove me nuts because I could not grow any SPS on it. I had to dump it after several years of trying and paying extremely high price back then for water testing.
What was strange about that rock is as soon as I got an SPS and I put it on the rock. The skin of the acros just started to shed and with in few min it would be bare white skeleton.
Happened more with blue, purple and darker color acros.
 
Not saying this man-made Rock would have any problem but my experience about 10 years ago with a company out of Florida I'm not going to name it but they send me some custom-made rock that I wanted for a special Aquascape. That rock drove me nuts because I could not grow any SPS on it. I had to dump it after several years of trying and paying extremely high price back then for water testing.
What was strange about that rock is as soon as I got an SPS and I put it on the rock. The skin of the acros just started to shed and with in few min it would be bare white skeleton.
Happened more with blue, purple and darker color acros.

That is strange. I wonder what the cause was because the chemistry of the water was obviously altered in a negative way.
 
This was about 15 yrs and i posted the results of lab test which back then cost me $400-500 on chemistry section of another reef website where Randy and I used to be active. No one saw anything wrong with the report.
Never found a solution except for i replaced the rock to BRS dry rock and never had that issue ever again.
 
I have some from him. I ordered over a year ago. It’s man made it has nice purple color. It was shipped nice and packed well. He ships it wet wrapped in newspaper in big purple plastic bags. I ordered sand from him too. Like most man made rock it has to be cycled. It’s kinda heavy because it’s man made. It’s porous to a certain extent but not as porous the brs stuff. Would buy again. There is a lot of info on his Facebook page go there to see more.
 
I don’t have any first hand experience with that brand of purple rock. It looks similar to the Caribsea Liferock which I used in my build.

I would see if you can find an approximate piece count per 40lb box to get an idea of the density.
 
I don’t think that I’ll be concerned with porosity because I have a lot of MarinePure that will be the base for my biological filtration; rock will be providing support and pleasing aesthetics. I’ll definitely check out his Facebook page today.
 
I have some from him. I ordered over a year ago. It’s man made it has nice purple color. It was shipped nice and packed well. He ships it wet wrapped in newspaper in big purple plastic bags. I ordered sand from him too. Like most man made rock it has to be cycled. It’s kinda heavy because it’s man made. It’s porous to a certain extent but not as porous the brs stuff. Would buy again. There is a lot of info on his Facebook page go there to see more.
I wouldn't say most man rock needs cycling. It should however be soaked in some clean water. Real Reef Rock comes seeded with bacteria.
 
I don’t see the point in spending that kind a money on rock. Given time all rock will end up covered in coralline.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top