Hello from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

John Reed

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 28, 2016
Messages
17
Reaction score
4
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My name is John and I started my reef aquarium about 8 months ago. I really enjoy it, however, I have made a few changes since starting it. I live in a fairly rural area and only have 1 salt water supplier near me. I wanted a peaceful aquarium and they started me with blue hermit crabs, nassarius, cerith, and bumble bee snails, and 2 yellow tail damsels.
The crabs and bumble bee snails began preying on my other snails and the damsels pestered my royal gramma when I added it to the mix. Recently, I removed all the crabs, pulled out the live rock to catch the damsels and bumble bee snails. I replaced the rock back in a slightly different configuration and returned the crabs, damsels, and bb snails to the pet shop.
My royal gramma has been very grateful and now swims throughout the aquarium (29 gal). I added more cerith, nassarius, and turchin?snails. All seems well.
I have a couple observations for comment:
I added an emerald crab. It seemed to be doing very well for a couple days and has now disappeared. I can not find it anywhere, however, I have not disturbed the rocks to look. I also added a Starry Blenney. It did very well for about a week. It was feeding and freely swimming the tank. It also went missing and I can not find it anywhere. I have limited viewing behind my tank but I have spent considerable time looking. Any ideas?
 
Welcome to R2R John;)
Did you quarantine your fish before you add them to your tank?
 
Last edited:
Welcome to R2R. I would say give the Emerald some time. Critters can disappear from sight but they are still in there doing their thing. I just discovered a peppermint shrimp that I haven't seen since it went in...last November!!!
 
Welcome! Congrats on joining to most fun and addicting forum of the universe, please be patient and refrain from exiting this roller coaster of a hobby. Remember to keep your legs and arms inside the ride at all times! Especially your ground probes and heaters! Lol If you get stuck or in line to get on the ride please be patient! Now in all seriousness, patience is a huge thing in this hobby. Can't wait to see some pics!
 
Welcome, and yes we love pictures!:)
 
Use This One.jpg
 
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Post pics of your setup!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top