Help! Can anyone tell me what these are?

toothman

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2011
Messages
256
Reaction score
10
Location
Coconut Creek FL
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332006955.515843.jpg


They are white, ovoid and are only on the rocks. I have not seen any on my corals. Should I worry about them or are they safe?
 
Pretty tough to see in that pic. Can you zoom in more?? Are they asterina stars?
 
Is there any way you could get a close up of it? It could be a thousand things. Really hard to tell from the pics.
 
Are they moving?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
 
They don't move. As of right now they are only on a few rocks but I can tel they are increasing in numbers.
 
at first glance they look like the egg sacks of snails. Do you ever see anything like this on your glass? They also could be tunicates. It would be really helpful if you could shine a brighter light directly on the growth in question or describe its tissue, color, and opacity.
 
Ok. They are white to greenish, opaque and hard to remove. When I press on them with my nail it indents but doesn't crack. Hope this is helpful.
 
sounds like a type of bubble algae. If you pop one is there slime inside? I wouldn't worry about them at the moment. can you remove one from the rock and photograph it outside the aquarium?

If it is bubble algae then you can just get a few emerald crabs and they will eat it. There are lots of scavengers out there that love bubble algaes!
 
hmm, could be a type of colonial tunicate, still need a better pic :/ I know how hard it is to get pictures of some things but that seems to be the easiest way to ID stuff on the net.
 
I've seen these before but not sure what they are. I believe they are a type of inveterate that cleans the rocks but not sure. They are probably harmless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top