Help Dialing In Kalk Stirrer on Frag Tank

Elgringodiablo

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2016
Messages
554
Reaction score
254
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, not sure I will ever get this down and hoping the community can offer advice.

I am currently using an Avast K1 Kalk Stirrer on my 12 gallon frag tank (mostly sps frags). I am feeding RODI to the unit via BRS 50ml Per Minute dosing pump that draws water from my 25gallon RODI reservoir. From initial testing, my frag tank takes about 0.5 gallons of top off water per day.

The ATO is triggered by a Neptune FMM in the pump chamber of the frag tank. I also added a solenoid bypass so that if the PH is over 8.4 it opens upstream of the kalk stirrer, allowing unfortified RODI into the tank.

I am finding that when I add new Kalk to the stirrer, my PH runs high (around 8.6) and opens the bypass. If I wait a while to add more, my PH drops back down, but then my KH ends up dropping.

I was really hoping to kill two birds with one stone and use this outlet for both ATO and Dosing since I am pretty maxed out on my two EB8 power bars. I'm having a heck of time figuring out the right amount and frequency to keep my CA and KH level without my PH getting dangerously high. Currently using the old BRS kalk powder (still have about half a gallon of it). Considering switching to the BRS pharma grade (which I don't expect to really make a big difference in this use case) or Tropic Marin Carbo Calcium (to avoid the PH issues).

Is there a formula somewhere I can use to determine the output of a vessel that's being continuously diluted by addition of RODI? Does my use of a bypass solenoid make the calculations a total crapshoot?
 
You are getting a 1/2 gallon of evap on a 12 gallon system?
Personally I would use dosing pumps for anything under 75 gallons before choosing kalkwasser. But, If you are set on using a stirrer perhaps run a small tee with a valve on it to dilute your kalk mixture going into your system?
Hope this helps.
 
You are getting a 1/2 gallon of evap on a 12 gallon system?
Personally I would use dosing pumps for anything under 75 gallons before choosing kalkwasser. But, If you are set on using a stirrer perhaps run a small tee with a valve on it to dilute your kalk mixture going into your system?
Hope this helps.
Already teeing off with the solenoid bypass. I could go dosing pumps, but then I am either looking at $300 for another neptune DOS or two EB8 outlets for two BRS 1.1ml dosers.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top