HELP! Display Water Hitting Middle Brace After Water Change

justdeb1107

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2024
Messages
156
Reaction score
157
Location
Birmingham
What state or country do you live in
Alabama
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! I did a water change last night and now the water level in my display tank is too high (hitting the brace in the middle)! Water in sump is exactly the same as normal. Last time this happened, the air holes in one of my bulkheads was clogged, but that's not the case this time. I don't know what would have happened just due to water change. I changed no pump settings. Need help. Scared the water will rise over the top of the brace and into lighting. What could be wrong?

IMG_7269.jpeg IMG_7270.jpeg
 
Check your drains/filters. There may have been a temporary clog or obstruction that lowered sump volume initiating your ATO if everything seems normal now.
 
Check your drains/filters. There may have been a temporary clog or obstruction that lowered sump volume initiating your ATO if everything seems normal now.
I actually had the ATO unplugged last night after the water change in order to let the pumps level the water levels in sump and MD. There is no large amount of water missing in my RO/DO reservoir.

Do I need to drain my overflow and pull the pipes out? I bought a used system (which has been running no issues since 5/4), and I am not even sure how to go about looking for clogs. The water is coming down normally into the sump from the tank, as far as I can see??? Lost as to the reason. Do I pull water out of MD and see if all stays stable in sump? I try not to panic normally, but this water is high. Usually an inch below my brace.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7272.jpeg
    IMG_7272.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 28
I actually had the ATO unplugged last night after the water change in order to let the pumps level the water levels in sump and MD. There is no large amount of water missing in my RO/DO reservoir.

Do I need to drain my overflow and pull the pipes out? I bought a used system (which has been running no issues since 5/4), and I am not even sure how to go about looking for clogs. The water is coming down normally into the sump from the tank, as far as I can see??? Lost as to the reason. Do I pull water out of MD and see if all stays stable in sump? I try not to panic normally, but this water is high. Usually an inch below my brace.
I would pull out enough water that it isn’t hitting the brace (keep the water) and watch the system. You might have put too much back in, but usually the extra water goes into the sump and doesn’t sit in the display unless there is a clog.
 
I would pull out enough water that it isn’t hitting the brace (keep the water) and watch the system. You might have put too much back in, but usually the extra water goes into the sump and doesn’t sit in the display unless there is a clog.
Just tried that. I did help the display level, but also dropped the level in my sump to the point my return pump was sucking air. Ugh!
 
Assuming you didn’t change out your pump to a higher flow, that means a clog in one of the overflows. Do you have two overflows or just one?
 
Seems like flow from your display to your sump is being restricted somewhere. You will have to start checking overflows and drain pipes. Hopefully your plumbing has some unions to make this easier.
 
UPDATE: I believe I had a very slight clog in one of the two return lines. One of my return lines isn't open all the way because then the tank fills the sump too quickly. I guess that one had a slight obstruction, but enough to mess up the equilibrium between the two tanks. Thanks for the help. I was freaking out.
 
Glad you figured it out. I assume you mean Drain pipes, not return.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top