Help..I may have killed my sea urchin.

Wudotcom

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2015
Messages
56
Reaction score
23
Location
Smiths Grove, Ky
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added some trace elements to my tank (Kent Trace Elements), but after I did that I saw it contained Copper EDTA. Now my urchin is on the tank floor and has lost some (not all) of its spines. However, my limpets are doing fine. I know copper is bad on inverts and thats made me freak a little after I saw it.

The last time my urchin "hid" from me and dropped spines it came back bigger and with longer spines. Trust I had a major face to palm moment.
 
How much did you dose in what size tank, just want to see if maybe you accidentally overdosed. I occasionally dose the exact same thing in my tank and none of my inverts ever responded negatively
 
How much did you dose in what size tank, just want to see if maybe you accidentally overdosed. I occasionally dose the exact same thing in my tank and none of my inverts ever responded negatively
29 gallon and I did 2 capfuls however much that equals. 1 or 2 mls maybe.
 
29 gallon and I did 2 capfuls however much that equals. 1 or 2 mls maybe.
Just went downstairs and two capsule = 10 ml. Note I filled the cap to the brim
1B396D41-3B7D-49EF-A988-62D10A9E23E8.jpeg
 
So then im wondering if I did kill my urchin. But wouldnt the copper affect all of the inverts in the tank?
 
I'd imagine that it would but I don't know how long it would take for them to show wesigns and we still don't know if this is the cause. Just to be on the safe side, I would do a water change and invest in a measuring cup or dropper
 
IM also going to get a copper test. Im hoping that maybe my urchin, which was actually a live rock hitchhiker, is just getting bigger (fingers crossed).
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top