Help me build my dream reef- low budget

As for powerheads, take a look at the IceCap 2K gyre for the 90g tank. They won't break the bank and I believe they are so much better at moving the water in a tank than regular powerheads.

I have a SB Reeflights 16" basic light over my coral quarantine tank and I swear it grows coral better than the lights on my display tank! I think it was around $125 when I got it...you'd need two of them for the 90g tank, though.
Thanks! I think lights are where I may spend my first sag Utica this money chunk, so that sounds like a good idea :)
 
might want to look for reef ready tank,viparspectas are good leds for a 90
 
The things I'd spend more on upfront would be things that have to do with the scape. Buy the rocks you want and get that part looking how you want as it's one thing that's a real pain to change and will mess with the biofilter. After that I'd get decent lights, look up some black box type stuff on Amazon or similar and find ones with good reviews. I use bb on my grow out and qt areas they will grow coral fine. Skimmer I use a simplicity brand, their on the cheaper end and work (not the best from what I hear but they work) they have most of the features of the bigger name brands and use jebo pumps which are easy to swap in years to come. After that you can stock as you have funds etc without any specific limitations.
 
I still say if you are going with corals #1 on the list is a RO/DI.
Its is mot the fun cool stuff to buy, but it is key to a healthy tank.
 
Another good skimmer would be an Eshops.
As you start to learn about equipment you will find the best utility pums are Sicce.
And eshops uses these.
Italian made and pronounced See Jay
 
i would differ on the skimmer ,lots of probs w eshopps up to gen 3 both hob and cones,stick with an octopus,jmo and experience
 
i would differ on the skimmer ,lots of probs w eshopps up to gen 3 both hob and cones,stick with an octopus,jmo and experience

I have a Eshops HOB for the Nano I had running.
Yes it was a pain to clean but it worked well for me.
I never had an issue with it.
That said I have heard some have had difficulties.
But IMO the Skcce pumps are solid products.
 
I have a Eshops HOB for the Nano I had running.
Yes it was a pain to clean but it worked well for me.
I never had an issue with it.
That said I have heard some have had difficulties.
But IMO the Skcce pumps are solid products.
just be aware hobs psk 75 & 100"s are prone to overflow ,out of nowhere ,used to keep my drains in five gallon bottles,also had a few that were faithful!! did have a discussion w someone the other day about,learned a trick,leave the overflow line back to sump :cool:
 
just be aware hobs psk 75 & 100"s are prone to overflow ,out of nowhere ,used to keep my drains in five gallon bottles,also had a few that were faithful!! did have a discussion w someone the other day about,learned a trick,leave the overflow line back to sump :cool:

If I set the tank back up I will keep a look out for that issue.
Yes my skimmer is the 75.
I had it in operation for 8 months did a good job for me.
Never overflowed thank goodness.
But when it comes to cleaning that thing, well lets just say I would like five minutes with the designer in a back ally.
 
If I set the tank back up I will keep a look out for that issue.
Yes my skimmer is the 75.
I had it in operation for 8 months did a good job for me.
Never overflowed thank goodness.
But when it comes to cleaning that thing, well lets just say I would like five minutes with the designer in a back ally.
toilet brush ;)
 
As for powerheads, take a look at the IceCap 2K gyre for the 90g tank. They won't break the bank and I believe they are so much better at moving the water in a tank than regular powerheads.

I have a SB Reeflights 16" basic light over my coral quarantine tank and I swear it grows coral better than the lights on my display tank! I think it was around $125 when I got it...you'd need two of them for the 90g tank, though.

All ICECAP is 20% off on Premium Aquatics and BRS this month so a gyre 2k is only like $170 with controller. The Jebao gyres are Chinese knockoffs that steal tech from US firms but the equivalent sell for $80 on EBay (use at your own risk!).

Like others have said, for a low budget build Chinese black boxes are the way to go unless you want to get metal halides which can be dirt cheap or free used. If you say what city you’re in these a high likelihood people will give you older reef stuff for free (including me).
 
If I set the tank back up I will keep a look out for that issue.
Yes my skimmer is the 75.
I had it in operation for 8 months did a good job for me.
Never overflowed thank goodness.
But when it comes to cleaning that thing, well lets just say I would like five minutes with the designer in a back ally.
I use a baby bottle brush...fits perfectly.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top