Help me with my planned bioload and tankmates

Yes, I have seen it in species that have absolutely no "filamentous appendages" such as bamboos, horns, whip rays, and others... Can you mix Angels and Tangs with Sharks? Yes, are their risks? absolutely. I always encourage people that want to exhibit sharks in their home to be especially smart about two things, adequate space, and realistic tank mates. Given your tank sizes you listed, sounds like your tank was woefully inadequate to keep the commonly available species of Shark for any length of time without health complecations
 
Via wetwebmedia - Re: Parrot Fish Vs. Shark ... refusing to read... still 1/30/07 So a Princess Parrotfish will not take to a sting ray as it was food? <Usually not....no.> the only reason I ask is because I had a Lemon Peal Angel and it tried to eat the eyes of my shark and sting ray... <A very common and well documented practice of many angels against/on Elasmobranchs, that could have been easily prevented with any prior research/readings on Elasmobranchs and predator/prey relations....AdamJ.>
 
And again... Tang and Shark Problems 9/8/06 Hi Bob, <Hi, Chris with you tonight> I was hoping you could advise me on any steps I could take to prevent or dissuade my sailfin tang from nipping the fins of my Port Jackson shark. <Not compatible species for a variety of reasons, primarily that Port Jackson sharks are not from tropical temperate.> I have tried providing Nori for the tang to nibble on, although this only provides a temporary remedy. I would very much like to keep both animals. <Not possible more that short term.> The other inhabitants are a stingray and Flagtail cod which do not seem to get picked on by the tang. <Hope it is a big tank, those are some big fish.> Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Regards, Joe. <Chris>
 
And yet again...Queen Angel Attacking White Spotted bamboo shark 8/11/05 Hello WWM Crew, <Mark...> I need some advice. Help! I am having a problem now with my Queen Angel attacking my White Spotted bamboo shark. <Happens...> They have been together for a long time now and was getting along until two days ago my Queen Angel who is about 7" suddenly thinks that the shark eyeball is edible. The queen angel will constantly pick on the sharks eyeball every time he has a chance to get to it. I watched it for few minutes, thinking that the queen might stop. <No... highly unlikely... these fishes must be separated... quickly> I looked at the sharks eye ball and I was alarmed due to its eyeball is now all red. I took the necessary action, I fished out the queen angel (which took me half a day to do) and put him to my quarantine tank. He is doing fine in the quarantine tank and eating well. The queen angel has been in the quarantine tank for 3 days now. My question, how long should I leave my queen angel to my quarantine tank before I introduce him back again to my main tank with the white spotted bamboo shark? <Forever... can't be kept together> I am thinking that If I separate the queen for few days and until the shark heals, then introduce them together again, the aggression will stop and they will get along again. Am I right? What is the best thing to do at this point? I like both of them. I have them both for a long time now. Please help! Once again, thanks for your time. Mark A. <Please read... don't write... on WWM... learn to/use the indices, search tool... re Shark Compatibility, Holacanthus ciliaris... Bob Fenner>
 
Also I forgot to mention that there are a lot of issues with keeping a clumbsy Shark with scorpionfish like lionfish.
 
I saw a horn shark lose it's eyes to a tang. I was going to buy it but the store still wanted some ridiculous price for a eyeless horn shark. The shark ended up dying a few days later. I have some pictures on photobucket, I will try to find it tomorrow.

It might work out for the OP but he should beware there is some risk involved.

OP if you are set on a shark you should look into a coral catshark instead of the brown banded. They are smaller then the brownbanded and a little more active. Grey bamboos will also be a good option. I am looking foward to your build.
 
@ballroomdude go for it dude. The worst that could happen is you realize something isn't working and have to get the aggressor out, unless it's the shark of course. There's always risk involved, it's just a matter of adjusting and being prepared in case you need to act. Sounds like you're prepared.
 
In having done more research the bio load may end up closer to this....

1 coral catshark
1 queen angel
1 mac angel
1 grey angel
1 purple tang
1 black tang
2 volitans lions
 
@ballroomdude go for it dude. The worst that could happen is you realize something isn't working and have to get the aggressor out, unless it's the shark of course. There's always risk involved, it's just a matter of adjusting and being prepared in case you need to act. Sounds like you're prepared.
And have the Shark pay the consequences of losing its sight or worse... That is a very selfish mentality.
 
I wouldn't do that to the shark. It would he the first animal in the tank and I'd see how it went from there. I'd let him grow some and introduce juvenile angels after the shark had been in the tank about 6 to 8 months with the lions.
 
Doesn't really matter in which order they are introduced unfortunately. I would chose between the fish on your list except for the shark OR the shark and create a more appropriate list to go with the shark. Every fish on that final list could be an issue with the shark, that gives you pretty good odds that your shark wouldn't make it long term anyway.
 
Angelfish picking is more likely in smaller tanks. A 600g is more than adequate to provide space for a shark and angel together, especially with 3 angels to distract one another

The examples provided from wetwebmediafail to mention aquarium volume. The example provided about the horn shark was in a dealer tank, a situation where it was in way too small of a tank.

The Shedd aquarium in Chicago has kept lg angels with sedentary sharks for the past 25+yrs., granted in a huge display.

The issue can be easily remedied through aquascaping. Providing a long, low cave, which is what a shark wants for cover anyway.
 
Lol, this guy^ sad that you can't just admit you are wrong. Plus public aquaria is much different than keeping these fish at home. Not only are displays large but you have a staff monitoring the tank several times per day, AND veterinarian assistance if things do go wrong, which it STILL does.
 
Sedentary sharks are commonly and easily kept in home aquaria, as long as their specific needs are met.

A 600+ gallon tank is well above the recommended volume for cat, epaulette, and bamboo sharks.

Instances of angels picking on sharks can happen, but is much, much less likely in larger tanks. The OP's tank is substantially large enough to, in general avoid this, though there are always exceptions.

I would also contend that in many cases home aquarists are far better suited to provide for the needs of the fish in their care.

First, home aquarists are much more emotionally invested in their fish, than that of an underpaid staffer at a public aquarium. It is not a job to the aquarist.

Second, the hobbyist is more often tuned in to the relatively few fish they care for versus the large amount of fish at a public aquarium.

Thirdly, the home aquarist spent his own hard earned money on his livestock versus the public aquarium that has public or other funds to use.

Home aquarists are also able to utilize veterinary services as well.

Things can and do go wrong in public and home aquaria. There are many instances of following compatibility rules with fish that should work together, but don't. There are certain risks inherent in keeping any 2 living creatures together, but basing it off of the majority of the experiences of others is the best way of doing it. And while there are some instances of picking on sharks, in an appropriately sized tanks this is not the majority of the instances.

Holding on to outdated aquarium dogma is up to each and every person, but in my recent experience, and that of others is that the OP's stocklist will not present an issue.
 
And holding onto a small subset of experiences and searching for the answer you want on google (very easy by the way). pretending that everything is going to be ok and then arguing it with someone that has kept hundreds of sharks and rays and consulted with hundreds of professionals. You are not revolutionary, you are trying to reinvent the wheel using a square design.
Most veterinarians will not even work with fish... And if you are lucky, and have one that does, they tend to be woefully inexperienced.
And when the hobbyist gets hit with a $300+ vet bill for their $100 Shark that died anyway it will be a huge reality check. You certainly live in a fantasy land.
 
You have kept hundreds of sharks and rays and consulted with hundreds of others? Public aquaria don't go through that many sharks. So in what aspect have you done so? And if someone is going through that many sharks that can tell you all you need to know?

Also, is 600g to small for a bamboo shark? You said it was 'woefully inadaquate', I don't know of any other 'authority' on sharks that feels the same.

A google search that takes you to various forums of others with personal experience is in no ways any less legitimate than searching wet web media.
 
I never said they were dead. In fact 99.9% of them are alive and well, and I have bred hundreds as well aside from the broodstock.
 
I never said they were dead. In fact 99.9% of them are alive and well, and I have bred hundreds as well aside from the broodstock.
Oh, ok :rolleyes:
Commercially, as a hobby, for a public aquarium? Where are they? Any pics? Any other pertinant details besides not with angels? I certainly hope each one is in a tank greater than 600g as you seem to think is necessary for one bamboo shark
 
I certainly hope each one is in a tank greater than 600g as you seem to think is necessary for one bamboo shark

It isn't the 600 gallons that is an issue as much as the 3ft width of the tank. An 8ft pond that is 1.5ft deep will be a little less then 600 gallons but will still make a decent home for a brownbanded. A brownbanded gets between 3ft and 4ft. A 3ft wide tank isn't that big when you have a fish that will grow to ~3.5ft.
 
It isn't the 600 gallons that is an issue as much as the 3ft width of the tank. An 8ft pond that is 1.5ft deep will be a little less then 600 gallons but will still make a decent home for a brownbanded. A brownbanded gets between 3ft and 4ft. A 3ft wide tank isn't really that big.

I know someone who has a 12ftx12ft pond with some mature greys, brown bandeds and whitespotteds. After seeing his pond in person I realized how much room these sharks really need. There are much better choices for a 3ft wide tank then a shark which gets more then 3ft long.
But they don't utilize width as much as rigid bodied fishes and can more than comfortabley make the turn needed to go back to their cave, now if the length was closer to being 36" or even 48" than 96" it would be much more a cause for concern, but isn't so in this instance.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top