Help!! My birdsnest was attacked by a crab!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter glb
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 12, 2013
Messages
8,141
Reaction score
3,367
Location
Miami
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg
Yesterday I pulled a hermit off my purple birdsnest and today the base and some other areas are bleached!!!! The color in the pic is off because of the flash but it does show the white areas. Here's before:.
image.jpg

Here's after:
image.jpg


My alk is 9, ph 7.8-8.1, ca 490, mg 1380, temp 78, SG 1.025 and nitrates 5-7ppm. Nothing's drastically changed as far as water chemistry. What happened and what do I do????
 
If your absolutely positively sure the hermit crab did that then all you really can do is wait. The coral should heal up on it's own given time. If this is STN/RTN due to a fluctuation in your alkalinity then your going to want to fix that ASAP. Keeping this stable is key, especially for sps corals. GL.

You might want to remove the hermit crab btw.
 
If your absolutely positively sure the hermit crab did that then all you really can do is wait. The coral should heal up on it's own given time. If this is STN/RTN due to a fluctuation in your alkalinity then your going to want to fix that ASAP. Keeping this stable is key, especially for sps corals. GL.

You might want to remove the hermit crab btw.

Thanks for your quick response. I'm not sure it's the crab but it happened right after I caught the crab on the coral. I did have a .4kh jump yesterday when I added Kalk. I try to keep the alk at about 9.0. It jumped from 8.8 to 9.2. I measure the Kalk very carefully and usually 1/3 cup raises my kh by .2. I added 1/3 cup and got a bigger jump. Testing was with a Hanna Checker before and after adding. I know there's a +\- of 5ppm for the checker. I think in ppm it went from 156-162. Would that jump in alk be enough to cause this?
 
I just found another culprit. Sexy shrimp. It's to the left of the base of the top left stem.
image.jpg
 
I dunno if I'd blame the inverts unless you saw them actively picking at the coral. I've got a peppermint shrimp that used to spend all his time hanging out in my cats paw Stylopora.
 
I dunno if I'd blame the inverts unless you saw them actively picking at the coral. I've got a peppermint shrimp that used to spend all his time hanging out in my cats paw Stylopora.

I think you're probably right. Could a .4kh jump cause it?
 
I'm far from an expert but for STN and RTN my advice is always dip in Lugol's. You can also cover the edges where it's receding in super glue.
 
It could be although that's not much. How's your mag? I've caused RTN by overdosing mag.

I never dose mg but it's always about 1380ppm. I have to add more salt mix to get SG where I want it, so my guess is that's where it comes from. It's weird, the number is always the same. Is 1380 a problem?
 
I don't think a .4 swing is going to cause issues, especially with birdsnest. However, I also doubt the issue is your inverts.
Ok good. That's a relief on both issues. I touched it because it started to come loose from its rock but I don't think that was it either.
 
I'm far from an expert but for STN and RTN my advice is always dip in Lugol's. You can also cover the edges where it's receding in super glue.
Does the glue stop the receding?
 
The glue can stop with the receding, but I would only do it for RTN when it's sort of a hail mary. 1380 mg is fine. I'd try to lugol's dip and a good water change. If it progresses try fragging the piece with parts that aren't affecting. If it's slowly happening, I wouldn't try anything drastic. Also have you changed it's lighting conditions?
 
I'm pretty sure that sexy shrimp have a established reputation for munching birdsnest corals. I wouldn't blame the hermit and I don't think that alk swing is major enough to cause this.
 
The glue can stop with the receding, but I would only do it for RTN when it's sort of a hail mary. 1380 mg is fine. I'd try to lugol's dip and a good water change. If it progresses try fragging the piece with parts that aren't affecting. If it's slowly happening, I wouldn't try anything drastic. Also have you changed it's lighting conditions?
No lighting changes. Blues at 40% for 8hrs and whites at 15% for 4 hours. There was a big overnight bleaching and now it's seems to have slowed or stopped.
 
Ive never beem able to keep birdsnest becuase my sexy shrimp eat them idk why but ive lost two to them, I dont know how common it is but i watched the buggers do it. They dont mess with any other sps
 
sexy shrimp have a established reputation for munching birdsnest corals
This. Stylos too, and probably Pocillopora for that matter.
 
Ok here's today's pic. The white is spreading, but not quickly and there's still a lot of color. Should I just wait it out or should I start fragging?
image.jpg
 
Ive never beem able to keep birdsnest becuase my sexy shrimp eat them idk why but ive lost two to them, I dont know how common it is but i watched the buggers do it. They dont mess with any other sps
Great. I just got the sexy shrimp. My yellow birdsnest they're leaving alone for now. How could those cute little varmits do such a thing?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top