HELP my tank is coverd in clear_white slime

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sceh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Sceh

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 14, 2018
Messages
54
Reaction score
96
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to get rid of turf algae and been dosing nitrate e and nopox for about 3 weeks, everything was ok, the algae stooped growing and began to slowly die off. But yesterday The slime buildup started, and the water is kind of murky and smells a bit like algae. The 2 clowns I have are doing okay, they are hiding, I am planing to move them to a separate new tank with only a heater and air bubbles. and now a snail died. I also have a mushroom coral which is doing fine for now. What is this? nitrates and phosphates are 0. I am using only carbon and phosphate minus.

I don't know what to do, the Tank is 2 years old.
 
A photo or two would really help, but it sounds like either decomposed algae buildup or a bacterial bloom. A water change would help with either of those. Zero nutrients is not good, so you may have overdosed your Nopox and Nitrate E. I'd stop dosing until you get some measurable nutrient levels again. I shoot for 5-10 Nitrate and about 0.03-0.08 Phosphate.
 
A photo or two would really help, but it sounds like either decomposed algae buildup or a bacterial bloom. A water change would help with either of those. Zero nutrients is not good, so you may have overdosed your Nopox and Nitrate E. I'd stop dosing until you get some measurable nutrient levels again. I shoot for 5-10 Nitrate and about 0.03-0.08 Phosphate.
THhanks, I will stop dosing. I will post photos but a bit later as I don't want to steers the fish out, the light is off now
 
If your nitrates are at zero you shouldn’t really be using Nopox anyway, but the slime is bacterial flocks from the carbon dosing.

If you had nitrates i would say reduce the dose slightly or increase flow to affected areas, but at zero either reduce the dose right down or stop using it.

I can’t actually see what you would add nitrate and then dose Nopox, the algae is probably using phosphate as a food source, and hence the zero phosphate showing, and Nopox has little effect on phosphate control. Look into rowaphos/GFO etc.
 
I am trying to get rid of turf algae and been dosing nitrate e and nopox for about 3 weeks, everything was ok, the algae stooped growing and began to slowly die off. But yesterday The slime buildup started, and the water is kind of murky and smells a bit like algae. The 2 clowns I have are doing okay, they are hiding, I am planing to move them to a separate new tank with only a heater and air bubbles. and now a snail died. I also have a mushroom coral which is doing fine for now. What is this? nitrates and phosphates are 0. I am using only carbon and phosphate minus.

I don't know what to do, the Tank is 2 years old.
it could be Alcaligenes faecalis. Does it look like a clear snot
 
it could be Alcaligenes faecalis. Does it look like a clear snot
I would say yes, and stringy. Ill post some pictures later when the lights go on
 
Thos sounds weird but do you use any sprays or air freshners around your tank
No, but i did clean some stains in the room with acetone I don’t remember if I also used alcohol, and I think that our maid vacuumed my room and had some type of oil or something the vacuum so it would smell good
 
Don’t just stop carbon dosing you should do it gradually. You just overdosed most likely and got a bacteria bloom. Scrub it down vacuum it out and decrease your dosing amount by half and you should be good. If your nitrates stay low slowly stop dosing
 
So everything it’s starting to clear up now, stoped dosing and waiting that the nutrients rise a bit :)
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top