Help with ID of freebee frag please

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2019
Messages
10,593
Reaction score
15,225
Location
Ashland Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received this as a freebie in an order. I'm a total newb to sps and I have no idea what it is. Anyone?
20221026_191044.jpg
 
Looks like a closed Green Star Polyp (GSP). They spread ALOT! I recommend putting it on an isolated rock in the sand to limit how far it can go. They are cool, but can over run a tank.
 
Looks like a closed Green Star Polyp (GSP). They spread ALOT! I recommend putting it on an isolated rock in the sand to limit how far it can go. They are cool, but can over run a tank.


Hmm I have had gsp before (they always die:thinking-face:) and they were more like a purple rubber kind of skeleton (?) This seems to be a hard coral and has small polyps extending like an sps. I need to see if I can get a better pic or photo
 
Received this as a freebie in an order. I'm a total newb to sps and I have no idea what it is. Anyone?
20221026_191044.jpg
Looks like sympodium coral
 
for sure…
yeah the polyps are too small to be sympodium,
which is why i id’d it as a stylo
 
Can you get a better picture. That looks like a flower pot coral/alveopora, if you want to call it that. Please put your lights into 10k-12k and take a better picture of polyps.
 
. Honestly what bothers me the most is the coral is brown. Thats not typical of corals from tidal gardens. They ushally look immaculate and never that brown. Hmmm wonder if your tank has high phosphates when was last ICP test?
I had one that was green then turned redish brown due to high po4 and stress. They are knowen to color morph from time to time. The only reason i suspect its avo is the white button mouths. Dont see many corals with that. So makes it easier to narrow down.
 
Last edited:
Can you get a better picture. That looks like a flower pot coral/alveopora, if you want to call it that. Please put your lights into 10k-12k and take a better picture of polyps.

. Honestly what bothers me the most is the coral is brown. Thats not typical of corals from tidal gardens. They ushally look immaculate and never that brown. Hmmm wonder if your tank has high phosphates when was last ICP test?
I had one that was green then turned redish brown due to high po4 and stress. They are knowen to color morph from time to time. The only reason i suspect its avo is the white button mouths. Dont see many corals with that. So makes it easier to narrow down.
Definatly not an alveopora, I have kept them before. I'm going with @MoshJosh and @ChiCity and say it's a stylo. It looks just like the pink stylo on tidal gardens site which is where it came from. It is only brown when I had a flashlight shining on it. It also had only been in the tank for an hour or so. It is starting to color up nicely now.

I just like to know what unknowns are so I can place them correctly. I'll forget what it is by next week :face-with-spiral-eyes:
 
Im gonna call Than. Ive never herd or seen the last 18+ years a stylo with white mouths. Ive kept almost all species of stylo, from incrusters to branching. Ill see what Than or becka thinks they should know 100%
 
Yes, you are correct, it is indeed Hot Pink Stylocoeniella. Just got off phone sent them pictures. Thats a great freebee you got there mate. Enjoy youre new little buddy. They arent thre fastest of stylo and require lower light lower flow areas with exceptions of corse

1666977316178.png
 
Just got off phone sent them pictures. Thats a great freebee you got there mate. Enjoy youre new little buddy. They arent thre fastest of stylo and require lower light lower flow areas with exceptions of corse
You have connections, awesome! Thanks for the info on lighting and flow, thats the info I was looking for. I suppose I could have emailed and asked them but this is more fun lol.
 
Well when your an old fart like me. You tend to make connections along the way hahaha
I hope it turns out a stellar mate. Cheers !
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top