Help with long tentacle plate. Helios Coral?

Salty.Reefer

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 5, 2016
Messages
852
Reaction score
1,009
Location
San Clemente, California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this long tentacle plate of MACNA this year so not to long ago. It has been doing great and staying fully extended all day sense I purchased it. Over the past two days, it has been degrading in health.
IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG

Any suggestions? All the other coral in my tank is doing good.
I was talking to my LFS owner about this and he said he has never seen one of these last over 4 months in captivity.
Also will the have babies spawn similar to standard large plates?
 
Aww that's sad. I don't know anything about plate corals but that they need lowlight and placed on the sand. Good luck!
 
Have you been feeding it?

What are your water parameters.
Yes I have been feeding it about 1-2 times a week. A medium sized brine shrimp aprox 1 inch soaked in reef roids.

Ammonia:0
Nitrates: 7 (doing water change as I type)
Calcium: 370
Alk: 9dkh
salinity 1.026
temp stable at 78
phosphates:0
 
It looks like brown jelly disease. It'll destroy your whole coral unless you dip it. I had a scoly with brown jelly and dipped it in a peroxide solution and it helped. Good luck !!
 
It looks like brown jelly disease. It'll destroy your whole coral unless you dip it. I had a scoly with brown jelly and dipped it in a peroxide solution and it helped. Good luck !!

That does not sound good. Do you remember how you did the peroxide dip? Did you end up loosing the scoly or did anything else get infected?
 
No my scoly was perfectly fine afterwards but I cannot say the same about your plate :/

I dipped it in a solution of 10 cups of tank water and one cup of peroxide
 
No my scoly was perfectly fine afterwards but I cannot say the same about your plate :/

I dipped it in a solution of 10 cups of tank water and one cup of peroxide

Thanks! I'll try that in the morning if it looks up to it.
 
Nitrates at 7 is not bad for a lps tank. I have never had luck with long tentacle plates. I have tried maybe 1/2 dozen of the years. Short tentacle types just seem to be hardier.
 
Nitrates at 7 is not bad for a lps tank. I have never had luck with long tentacle plates. I have tried maybe 1/2 dozen of the years. Short tentacle types just seem to be hardier.
How long would you say they last? did you keep the skeletons in the tank to see if babies were produced?

I did a peroxide dip this morning even though it looked worse but the jelly spread to one of my acans. Thankfully only one, it was small and not one of my nicer ones.
Not looking good but I love this coral. Had so much movement and color.
This was from a few weeks ago
IMG_1004.jpg

After the dip
IMG_1152.JPG
 
I only had a short tentacle that would multiply. And only the cheaper one. Not the expensive ones. I always keep the dead fungia in tank. I have never had a long tentacle send babies.

The longest i think i have had a long tentacle is little over a year.

Brown jelly can be nasty. It seems to attack when corals are stressed. To me it is the coral version of ich.
 
I only had a short tentacle that would multiply. And only the cheaper one. Not the expensive ones. I always keep the dead fungia in tank. I have never had a long tentacle send babies.

The longest i think i have had a long tentacle is little over a year.

Brown jelly can be nasty. It seems to attack when corals are stressed. To me it is the coral version of ich.
Thanks man. Its kinda got me stressed haha I already lost a brain I really liked. It was a standard green one but one of my first corals and it grew massive sense I got it. Such a bummer. I have a short tentacle that is doing great!
Do you keep them in the display or sump?
 
How is it looking?

Dead. The peroxide dip really did help eliminate the brown goop. The thing I think that didn't help is that I waited a day before doing a second dip and it got worse quick over night before the next dip in the morning. I should have done back to back days.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top