Help with Nitrates in a cycling new tank

birnkrant

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 12, 2019
Messages
14
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
Utah
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 400 gallon tank that has been cycling with Turbo 900. My ammonia and nitrites are zero. My nitrates are through the roof, lol (well over 50 with a red sea test kit).

I will be connecting this new 400 gallon to an established system (currently around 500 gallons including show tank and sump as well as refugium and water exchange system). That established system has corals growing in it and nitrates of ZERO "0".

So, I am concerned about connecting the systems with the nitrates being so high in my new 400 gallon and hurting the corals I already have in my established tank system. (I can not separate the systems, that is not the design I am going for - and yes, I understand that comes with risks! lol).

My questions:
  1. what should I do to reduce or eliminate the nitrates so I can connect the tank? I have tried a nitrate removing filter pad, but that hasn't worked.
    Water change I understand is an option, but my concerns
    a. I am concerned it will remove that established good bacteria in the new 400 gallon tank
    b. It won't reduce the nitrates far enough to not be toxic to existing systems corals
    c. What chemical solution would someone recommend?

  2. Should I do a water change anyway before I connect the systems or will that create a problem with the new tank good bacteria.
    (BTW, I do 150 gallon water changes, and I have the capacity to do 200 gallon water changes at a time - still, only 1/2 the volume of the new tank. That water change for the new tank could be 100% new salt water or could be 100% water from the established tank - or a combination of the two).

  3. any other suggestions for a successful connection? (or succesfull system?
Thank you for any help.
Sincerely,
Jonathan
 
Try some waste away or PNS probio. Both of these will lower nitrate and also add some microbe diversity. Just make sure phosphate nor nitrate hits 0 since that can lead to dinoflagellates and coral problems.
 
IMO, most of your bacteria is on your rock and substrate. So a large water change should not hurt your bacteria population. MONSTER SETUP!
 
IMO, most of your bacteria is on your rock and substrate. So a large water change should not hurt your bacteria population. MONSTER SETUP!
Thank you so much! OK, I'm going to do a 90% water change tonight! I'll get some Turbo 900 and a guppy or two and then let everything settle so I can connect them! Thank you again
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top