Hey freshly mixed instant ocean is reading 0.24 phosphates!!!

Natescorals

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 27, 2019
Messages
586
Reaction score
186
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey anyone experience this? I’m trying to figure out the cause of this. I’m mixing fresh RODI water with a TDS reading of 0. My water quality here in Lake Tahoe is already very clean. When I mix instant ocean for 48 hours I’m getting a phosphate reading of 0.24. Is this normal? I am testing with a Hanna ULR.
 
Which Hanna meter do you have? BRS sells 713 and 717 as fresh and saltwater.

Also, what TDS meter are you using? Have you checked calibration
 
Check for phosphate in your RODI.
Almost all cities put phosphate in their water systems as it prevents corrosion.
Mine shows .1 after DI.

I run phosphate between .1 and .2

23BEC36D-6C62-46E1-9EF4-D7DCDBF58893.jpeg
 
I’m using a very cheap TDS meter that I got on amazon. It says my tap water is 89 TDS and my RO water is 0.
 
Second what others are saying, test your RODI for phosphates. I would also check your TDS calibration with 342 solution.

Where I live in North Florida. I had to add additional DI canisters to ensure no phosphate/silica made its way into my RODI. I used BRS “Pro” line up separating cation and anion. Sure enough, I consume anion much faster. Then before it reaches my RODI tank I run it through a silica buster as a safety net
 
I’m running a little bit of phosgaurd in my tank. The water looks crystal clear and my corals look very happy and are all growing well..
 
Check for phosphate in your RODI.
Almost all cities put phosphate in their water systems as it prevents corrosion.
Mine shows .1 after DI.

I run phosphate between .1 and .2

23BEC36D-6C62-46E1-9EF4-D7DCDBF58893.jpeg
But are RODI units supposed to remove the phosphate? Or does the phosphate stay in the water. My nitrates are undetectable using Salifert nitrate kit
 
Good read:


If your TDS meter is reading 0, then there's a good chance that it's a testing error with the Hannah.

A good TDS meter will show a value if you have that much P04, even with phosphate being weakly attracted to the Di resin. On the other hand, If you have new resin and it shows a reading 1+ and stays that way, most likely the phosphate is coming from you source water.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top