Hey what is the best SALT to use???

I’d say the salt that’s closest to the parameters you’re aiming to keep. I use Red Sea blue bucket. It matches my Calcium and alkalinity I keep in my tank. Best salt is a never ending debate. Not sure there is a best salt. Lots of people use different brands. BRS did a video testing many different brands. It’s worth a watch.
 
I use the cheapest salt available which ends up usually being Instant Ocean Reef Crystals or Regular. I once bought the expensive salt and never saw a difference, so I think just be consistent and you'll be fine.
 
Think you just opened a Pandora’s box lol. This is like asking “ford or Chevy” or “coke or Pepsi” . so may people are loyal to their brands. I would get a salt that mixed as close to your target parameters. I like the blue bucket Red Sea salt personally. I have been getting tropic Marin mixed water from my lfs and it’s seems ok too. but my mixing station should be ready soon and I’ll switch over (back to) the blue bucket.
 
Think you just opened a Pandora’s box lol. This is like asking “ford or Chevy” or “coke or Pepsi” . so may people are loyal to their brands. I would get a salt that mixed as close to your target parameters. I like the blue bucket Red Sea salt personally. I have been getting tropic Marin mixed water from my lfs and it’s seems ok too. but my mixing station should be ready soon and I’ll switch over (back to) the blue bucket.


chevy!! and tropic marin
 
Have used virtually Every salt mix out there and really like Tropic Marin
 
Eye of Newt!
Alright, sorry I was joking. I liked Fritz RPM for the parameters it mixed at. I didn't like the residue it left much like many do. I recently switched to Brightwell Neomarine and it seems pretty good. Mixes with lower parameters quickly and doesn't leave residue.

At the end of the day you just want it to be close to the parameters you keep your tank at.
 
There’s no consensus on this issue after seeing lots of threads about this. FWIW I wouldn’t say salt makes your corals healthier and grow. There are so many other factors to include, coupled with good husbandry. Look into dosing to maintain elements. There are people that have the most beautiful tanks that almost never do water changes.
 
Instant Ocean has been a very consistent salt for me over the last 30 years, it’s affordable and I’ve been able to grow anything in it. I’ve tried other brands and always end up back with plain old Instant Ocean.
 
So......what is the best salt to use?

Whatever fits your system and budget. As many said there really is no "best" it comes down to personal preference and choice. You know what your water parameters are and also know how you maintain your tank. Could be balling, could be additive, could be nothing but water top off and scheduled water changes.
 
Red Sea or tropic marin or reef crystals?

Yes. :p

As others have said, there's no such thing as a "best" salt. Any of the commercial salts will work and can give you a beautiful tank. If you don't have a great tank, the salt won't be the reason for it. Choosing the right mix for you (as others have said, try to match your parameters as much as possible) can make your life a little easier, but even the most basic Instant Ocean mix can support a great tank. Just decide what you want out of a salt mix, choose the one that comes the closest to it, and stick with it unless you have a reason to change.

I've used Instant Ocean, Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, Red Sea (blue bucket, I think) and Fritz (blue box), and I have a bucket of Tropic Marin to try out once my Fritz runs out. My reasons for changing have little to do with their impact on my tank, and more to do with other factors. Tropic Marin is supposed to mix quickly, with consistent results and little residue, and all three of those sound quite appealing to me. But that's me.
 
Yes watch the BRS video series.
I agree that beautiful tanks can be had with any salt.

But in the end currently at the top of the heap its
Tropic Marin Pro.

This salt is used by many large public aquariums.
The primary salt recomended by the Triton method ICP testing.
These are the facts not opinion.

I like how clean this salt is. I cleaned my storrage tanks for my mixing station when I set it up. Have not had to clean it since. It has been over a year and when you look into my storrage tank it looks as clean as the day it was installed. So would you want to live and breath Los Angeles or Beijing smog or the chrisp clean air of the Hawaiian Islands?

I am lazy, there are enough things that need cleaned with this hobby.
If I know of something that I can do or buy to eliminate a chore....well I am all in. YMMV.

So is there a best salt, yep hands down Tropic Marin Pro.
 
Ive been at this for about seven months and started with Tropic Marin Classic. Worked great and everything was doing well. Switched to TM Reef Pro and over time my corals (LPS) weren’t doing as well as before the switch. As @ScottR points out there is more to coral growth than salt. What I learned was that TM Reef Pro is designed for people who have the experience and equipment to manage aquarium chemistry separately. Take a look at the parameters of the two salts and you’ll see a big difference.

I switched back to Classic and waiting to see how things come back. As @K7BMG points out TM is a great salt from mixing and quality standpoint. I’ll stay with TM.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top