Hi everyone - Setting Up my first marine tank

PaulSalley3099

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2020
Messages
18
Reaction score
23
Location
UK
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, just introducing myself really, I live near Southampton UK, 47 years old with a family consisting of 2 kids, so my reefing time is limited!! I have a bit of experience in pond and tropical fish keeping, but after my neighbour sold me a Juwel 180 Rio for £50 I thought id enter the more complex world of a marine / reef aquarium. I am coming towards the end of my cycle, and have just gone through the algae bloom stage, so everything is coming along. My only reservation and something i need to build up the courage to do is install an RO unit in the house, (currently I am buying RO water from the LFS). Anyone done this recently, is it tricky or straight forward. Should i convert the whole house to RO water, or can i install one to the outlet to the garden hose, which is where Id like to fill my containers from. How quickly will an RO unit fill a 25ltr container? Finally can anyone recommend a reasonably priced unit, available in the UK, that would meet my needs, ie easy to install and keep a 180ltr tank supplied with enough RO for water changes as needed? Currently I am keeping around 75ltrs of RO on standby for water changes.

Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Paul.
 
Welcome to R2R! Installing an RODI unit is easy and straight forward. I wouldn;t install it for the whole house, but I would install a drinking bladder and faucet for it. Hooking it up under the kitchen sink is really easy if you have the room.
 
They are pretty easy to install, I just did one in my house 6 months ago. I also ran a line to the fridge (bypassing the DI Resin) for drinking water, but please don't do it for the whole house, you need commercial grade systems that are $10,000s to produce enough water and a complete waste.

Depending on the system you buy, it can take 1-2 hours for 25l. I'd keep it inside the house and plumb it right into the house water supply.
 
Welcome RODI will become your friend!

Also, welcome to the forum! Love the fact it’s going to be a family venture because I remember vividly being a kid and having my dad help me with my tank. A lot of fond memories. Water change days were always funny.

Good luck with your venture if you’re interested check out my YouTube channel. May have some nuggets of info that could be helpful in your set up of the tank and getting more acquainted to saltwater hobby.
 
giphy.gif


Welcome to R2R!!!
 
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Paul. I have an osmotics RODI unit installed under the kitchen sink. Takes me about one and half to two hours to make 25 litres. You need Ro water for topping up and also for making salt water for water changes. They do waste a lot of water for every gallon they make. I’ve flooded my kitchen many times by forgetting the barrel is filling and it’s overflowed. I’ve now fitted a valve which switches it off when the water reaches it.
Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.
Are you joining the UK forum to get your banner?
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top