Hi I am Tom, the peg leg reefer.

Welcome! :)

season 3 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
 
2021-09-2811.26.048036325972576153088.jpg




Hi I am Tom. I live in Colorado, right at the base of the rockies. I am a computer gamer mainly, and also enjoy sailing. We have a 26 ft Mac Gregor. I have to girls age 6 and 8, a Dog, two cats. I own an auto repair shop, and at the shop we keep two finches and two ferrets, as well as a mouser cat.

I have done several freshwater tanks over the course of 28 years. I always wanted to dip into saltwater, but have not had the access to the funds to get a proper size tank. I am excited to try my first saltwater tank and look forward to contributing to the community.

Hi Tom and Welcome!

Glad you joined. This is a great reference book type article/thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/

There are many ways to do this hobby on a budget. I recommend watching Craigslist etc for someone moving, ... whatever causing them to sell their whole setup. I joke that the guy I got my tank & all from bought lots of really great things just to sell it to me cheap (not really joking... feel lucky - but there is a lot of luck to be had by all just have to have patience - which patience is good trait for this hobby).

I watch this guy's build thread because he is cost conscious like me. Post #22 on page 2 does a cost breakdown:
 
2021-09-2811.26.048036325972576153088.jpg




Hi I am Tom. I live in Colorado, right at the base of the rockies. I am a computer gamer mainly, and also enjoy sailing. We have a 26 ft Mac Gregor. I have to girls age 6 and 8, a Dog, two cats. I own an auto repair shop, and at the shop we keep two finches and two ferrets, as well as a mouser cat.

I have done several freshwater tanks over the course of 28 years. I always wanted to dip into saltwater, but have not had the access to the funds to get a proper size tank. I am excited to try my first saltwater tank and look forward to contributing to the community.
Welcome to R2R!!!
 
Welcome! My real name is Tom too and we both have the same blue collar and interests!

I actually built my reef because I couldn't find a new GPU and sunk that money into a tank I've had for almost 3 years dry.

Get your fish from TSM so you have a better chance of success right off the bat.
Who is TSM? I have been going to Biggs Lagoon, they ordered two mated pairs of clowns for me, and are going to quarantine them for me for thirty days. I also bought my own quarantine tank and am trying my hand at quarantineing (is that a word) a tiny pair of aqua cultured mandarins from a local big box.

P.S. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
 
Who is TSM? I have been going to Biggs Lagoon, they ordered two mated pairs of clowns for me, and are going to quarantine them for me for thirty days. I also bought my own quarantine tank and am trying my hand at quarantineing (is that a word) a tiny pair of aqua cultured mandarins from a local big box.

P.S. Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.
TSM is a vendor specializing in quarantined fish, they are small scale so not much is available at a time.

You have more patience than me quarantining!

Make sure you are diligent not cross contamination gear and buckets, have two of eveything.

Make sure you seed your display tank now with phytoplankton and pods in case your manderins won't take to prepared foods.
 
TSM is a vendor specializing in quarantined fish, they are small scale so not much is available at a time.

You have more patience than me quarantining!

Make sure you are diligent not cross contamination gear and buckets, have two of eveything.

Make sure you seed your display tank now with phytoplankton and pods in case your manderins won't take to prepared foods.
I figure this is a good time to try my hand at quarantine since there are no fish in the tank. I have already made the mistake of dipping a feeder into my display tank after having it in the quarantine tank. Cursed myself on that one. Each day I get better and more careful. I picked up the copper medication today and will start ramping that up after a quick feeding.
 
2021-09-2811.26.048036325972576153088.jpg




Hi I am Tom. I live in Colorado, right at the base of the rockies. I am a computer gamer mainly, and also enjoy sailing. We have a 26 ft Mac Gregor. I have to girls age 6 and 8, a Dog, two cats. I own an auto repair shop, and at the shop we keep two finches and two ferrets, as well as a mouser cat.

I have done several freshwater tanks over the course of 28 years. I always wanted to dip into saltwater, but have not had the access to the funds to get a proper size tank. I am excited to try my first saltwater tank and look forward to contributing to the community.
Welcome tom
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top