reef lover
It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Excellence Award
Reef Tank 365
Hudson Valley Reef Keepers
Hospitality Award
518 Reefers
My Tank Thread
Welcome to r2r and back to the salt life!
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hi all,
So I have had several reef tanks over the last 20 years or so. I took my last (90gal) down before moving about 5 years ago and after the move decided to sell everything off and get out. Well here I am 5 years later wishing I didn't sell my Apex, two AI hydra 52's or Nice Bubble magus skimmer.
Anyway, I am struggling with my decisions because in the past I always did everything piece meal and purchased most items used and did a lot of DIY, however, now in my life I am in a place where I could go more extravagant but fear If I due this I will be making some bad decisions. I know there is no 100% set best way and I have been researching new equipment (in particular the use of Algae Scrubbers which seems like a pretty simple idea and I have read solves the whole need for very regular water changes).
I don't want to go too big and don't want to buy a lot of things not really needed.
So instead of boring everyone with all the ideas I am having, I'll start with a simple first question and ask for comments.
I want to have a 65 to 75 gal total system. I want to get a tank and stand first and build around that. I am very interested in the Red Sea Reefer 250 (65 total gals). I would love your honest opinion of that system and comments on better or similar alternatives. The main reason I am not just doing it is because this system includes the sump with a spot for a fuge but I am not certain I need or want a fuge if these Algae Scrubbers are as good as they say.
Thanks for your comments.


