Hi, still fairly new on here have a question & need help

Saltwater2370

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 16, 2022
Messages
57
Reaction score
80
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I can’t figure out why my blue/purple sponge has turned pink any ideas? I’ve moved it back up towards the light to help it as I forgot to put its shelf back up last water change. Is there anything special it needs to get its color back? All my other corals are doing great, water is good just the sponge is being picky. My water is rich in nutrients for my soft corals and I feed my seahorses 2-3 times a day. I posted a before and after pic.

8F041DA4-3AA9-47AC-87A0-3A5639B4344B.png 98613B38-EA93-4815-9E27-A99537596A27.jpeg
 
On the first picture, the blue & the green look like mushroom. Is that a NPS Gorgonion with them?

I did not realize that sponges were photosynthetic. I keep yellow ball sponges & red tree sponges. And in refugium “Cryptic Sponges” dominate.

@Saltwater2370
I suggest you post in reef discussion not “new to saltwater”. This is not a newbie discussion.
 
Last edited:
On the first picture, the blue & the green look like mushroom. Is that a NPS Gorgonion with them?

I did not realize that sponges were photosynthetic. I keep yellow ball sponges & red tree sponges. And in refugium “Cryptic Sponges” dominate.

@Saltwater2370
I suggest you post in reef discussion not “new to saltwater”. This is not a newbie discussion.
Yeah, there are a lot of photosynthetic and a lot of non-photosynthetic sponges, but only a few photosynthetic ones are found in the hobby (typically just red and blue/purple plating sponges).

To the OP, I’m not sure what’s happening with your sponge, so hopefully someone with experience can give you an answer here. If I had to guess, it might be that the lighting change changed which photosynthetic symbionts thrived in the sponge and the color changed with symbionts, but that is just a guess.
 
Hi, I can’t figure out why my blue/purple sponge has turned pink any ideas? I’ve moved it back up towards the light to help it as I forgot to put its shelf back up last water change. Is there anything special it needs to get its color back? All my other corals are doing great, water is good just the sponge is being picky. My water is rich in nutrients for my soft corals and I feed my seahorses 2-3 times a day. I posted a before and after pic.

8F041DA4-3AA9-47AC-87A0-3A5639B4344B.png 98613B38-EA93-4815-9E27-A99537596A27.jpeg
Pics suggest lack of light and water flow based on film growth on the mushroom and the gorgonian which I have one has no polyp extension. I dont believe the film is dino but rather mulm or sediment. The gorgonian needs light and flow as well as phyto and other nutrients.
There seems to be an abundance of hydroids throughout the tank also .

My gorgonian always looks like this:

1667136008156.png
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top