High no3 and po4 with crazy filtration why?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MACHO
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2020
Messages
399
Reaction score
173
Location
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been struggling lately with no3 and po4 tested this evening po4-.42 and no3 is 20.7 right now I have a filter roller refugium skimmer and bio pellet reactor this is on a 200 gallon system I feed once a day with rods food about an inch of food
I have a sailfin tang powder blue tang yellow tang whitetail 2 clowns 2 cardinals an anthias a royal gramma a lemon wrasse and a damsel not sure why my nutrients are this high right now just doesn’t make much sense last water change was 40 gallons 2 weeks ago also have a marine pure block and biomaxx block in the sump
D5B842E8-BB6E-4E4B-8716-7BABD55B03F0.jpeg
49DF2ABF-4331-408F-B14A-BF35BDD63E1C.jpeg
 
Your levels are elevated but not high. How is the overall tank condition though? Algae? Coral health?

My phosphate has strangely locked in at .4 and I'm not sure why either. Plenty of export, run GFO and phosguard yet it is locked at .4. Tank is flourishing though with little to no algae and great coral growth. Numbers don't always have to fall in line to have a successful tank.
 
Been struggling lately with no3 and po4 tested this evening po4-.42 and no3 is 20.7 right now I have a filter roller refugium skimmer and bio pellet reactor this is on a 200 gallon system I feed once a day with rods food about an inch of food
I have a sailfin tang powder blue tang yellow tang whitetail 2 clowns 2 cardinals an anthias a royal gramma a lemon wrasse and a damsel not sure why my nutrients are this high right now just doesn’t make much sense last water change was 40 gallons 2 weeks ago also have a marine pure block and biomaxx block in the sump
D5B842E8-BB6E-4E4B-8716-7BABD55B03F0.jpeg
49DF2ABF-4331-408F-B14A-BF35BDD63E1C.jpeg
Yea they aren't just through the roof high. Anyway Injust wanted to say 40 gallons I'd my tanks size I can't imagine changing out all the water in my tank!
 
Your levels are elevated but not high. How is the overall tank condition though? Algae? Coral health?

My phosphate has strangely locked in at .4 and I'm not sure why either. Plenty of export, run GFO and phosguard yet it is locked at .4. Tank is flourishing though with little to no algae and great coral growth. Numbers don't always have to fall in line to have a successful tank.
so true. My numbers are lower than what they just should be yet corals grow and thrive.
 
How old is the tank?

looks pretty new to me, and if it was started with live rock, it can be coming from the rock itself, which isn’t good or bad, just where it might be coming from.

As for the filtration, why so much? You could probably do without the bio pellet reactor, and the ceramic blocks. The tank is lightly stocked, and there’s more than enough surface area in the actual rock to take care of the nitrogen cycle so are the blocks adding anything??

personally, I keep it as simple as possible. Mechanical filtration and a good skimmer should take care of everything you need.

as for the actual levels of nutrients, the phosphate is a little high but not crazy. The nitrate is where LOTS of people keep them.

rinse food before you feed it, there’s plenty of phosphate in the stuff that gets left behind.
 
Your levels are elevated but not high. How is the overall tank condition though? Algae? Coral health?

My phosphate has strangely locked in at .4 and I'm not sure why either. Plenty of export, run GFO and phosguard yet it is locked at .4. Tank is flourishing though with little to no algae and great coral growth. Numbers don't always have to fall in line to have a successful tank.
Algae non existent and only have a toadstool right now since tin is also a factor in the tank right now.
02E5F407-AC98-4B07-BB87-74809FEACD13.jpeg
 
How old is the tank?

looks pretty new to me, and if it was started with live rock, it can be coming from the rock itself, which isn’t good or bad, just where it might be coming from.

As for the filtration, why so much? You could probably do without the bio pellet reactor, and the ceramic blocks. The tank is lightly stocked, and there’s more than enough surface area in the actual rock to take care of the nitrogen cycle so are the blocks adding anything??

personally, I keep it as simple as possible. Mechanical filtration and a good skimmer should take care of everything you need.

as for the actual levels of nutrients, the phosphate is a little high but not crazy. The nitrate is where LOTS of people keep them.

rinse food before you feed it, there’s plenty of phosphate in the stuff that gets left behind.
Started with dry rock and live sand. Tank was started march 18 last year.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top