High silicon in ro and tank water

  • Thread starter Thread starter e34stx
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

e34stx

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 5, 2017
Messages
203
Reaction score
60
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I received my ati results back today and along with a few other small element deficiencies the silicon was high(780ug/l) in both my ro and my tank water. i have had a diatom issue from the start(3 yrs) but it’s been manageable. i would like to address the issue with the tank water as I have changed my ro filters and di resins. The ro measured 20ug/l but I’m hoping some of my water hold was from the older ro filters. I have read that gfo can remove silicon but the issue is my po4 is low at 0.02 so I don’t want to bottom out.
can someone please give me a few suggestions?
thanks
 
The issue is that silicon in the water is not necessarily simple silicate, and may not be responsible for diatoms. I'm not sure I'd try to reduce it in the water, and just let diatoms use up what is there. The ongoing additions from the Ro/DI ware pretty small, and it can be reduced further if you want by adding a second DI in series.
 
hi Randy thanks for you time to answer. i dont really do any water changes so i assume the ro top off is responsible for the diatoms i get, i also forgot to mention there is a quite large sponge population starting to cover the underside of my rock rock work. if i decide to reduce the silicon can you suggest how to remove tank levels. i will get another di chamber.
thanks
stef
 
hi Randy thanks for you time to answer. i dont really do any water changes so i assume the ro top off is responsible for the diatoms i get, i also forgot to mention there is a quite large sponge population starting to cover the underside of my rock rock work. if i decide to reduce the silicon can you suggest how to remove tank levels. i will get another di chamber.
thanks
stef

When you get growth on the glass, is it green or golden brown?

Like comparing these before and after dosing silicate pictures (Figures 3 and 6) below:

 
When you get growth on the glass, is it green or golden brown?

Like comparing these before and after dosing silicate pictures (Figures 3 and 6) below:

its definitely brown. it covers some of my rock as well but brushes off quite easily.
 
its definitely brown. it covers some of my rock as well but brushes off quite easily.
Diatoms don't usually brush off easily.

Are you sure it is not cyano or dinos?
 
i dont think so,,i had a small outbreak of dinos in my last tank, i have also have cyanno as well lol. i do think these are diatoms..they look exactly like your photo!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top