hippo tang and macroalgae

  • Thread starter Thread starter jtf74
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

jtf74

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 20, 2020
Messages
747
Reaction score
572
Location
Washougal,WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This very interesting macroalgae left of the nem just showed up in my display a few months back from a frag I added and it caused me to start noticing macroalgae, which is something I never paid attention to outside of the chaeto or caulerpa in my sump. So I bought 7 different types recently including 4 red gracilaria types , a halimeda, and codium. Anyone had a hippo tang that did not eat some of these? Would love to put some in my display. For now I'm keeping the algae in a separate tank and will add some of the cuttings after it has grown a bit to see what the hippo will or won't eat.

Screenshot 2024-05-05 132706.jpg
 
Maybe you could grow them in a refugium and set some out for eating.
Not doing a refugium right now maybe later but its going in my 35 gallon cube/ fallow coral qt tank and cuttings will go in display and what gets eaten gets eaten, So far it doesn't like botryocladia.

​

 
My hippo tang only takes the occasional nibble at caulerpa mexicana. It grows faster than what the tang eats.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top