Hippo Tang Deliberately sticking to circulation pump

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mogwai
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users None

Mogwai

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 15, 2021
Messages
272
Reaction score
228
Location
Brooklyn
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I've had this Blue Tang for a few months now. I've caught her deliberately putting itself onto my circulation pump. She can swim off easily which she does so im confused. She eats like a savage and swims just fine. Has a place she sleeps underneath the rock where my Kenya Tree is located. Anyone know if tangs deliberately do things like this or is mine on some weird circulation pump fish fetish?
 
Ok so I've had this Blue Tang for a few months now. I've caught her deliberately putting itself onto my circulation pump. She can swim off easily which she does so im confused. She eats like a savage and swims just fine. Has a place she sleeps underneath the rock where my Kenya Tree is located. Anyone know if tangs deliberately do things like this or is mine on some weird circulation pump fish fetish?
No, I have a blue hippo tang as well.
I haven't had her quite as long, but I have also seen her deliberately attach to the circulation pump and is able to swim off of it just fine.. I'm thinking they may just do funny stuff.. Maybe why they made dory so klutzy in the movie? who knows..
but it has also had me worried as well.. I'm reading that hippo tangs are easily susceptible to parasites.. I hope that she isn't doing it as a sign of them because I've also seen her roll around in the beach sand in the bottom of the tank.. But she was purchased from a place that had her in a tank with nothing to hide under, or sand to brush against.. and she is only a few days new in our tank.
 
No, I have a blue hippo tang as well.
I haven't had her quite as long, but I have also seen her deliberately attach to the circulation pump and is able to swim off of it just fine.. I'm thinking they may just do funny stuff.. Maybe why they made dory so klutzy in the movie? who knows..
but it has also had me worried as well.. I'm reading that hippo tangs are easily susceptible to parasites.. I hope that she isn't doing it as a sign of them because I've also seen her roll around in the beach sand in the bottom of the tank.. But she was purchased from a place that had her in a tank with nothing to hide under, or sand to brush against.. and she is only a few days new in our tank.
Yeah, after my water change yesterday she was doing this weird tilting thing a few times then stopped doing it. Fed them and she bullies the other tank mates for the food. I want to think it has something to do with space now. I bought her about an inch in size a few months back and now she has doubled in size. These Hippo Tangs grow extremely fast!
 
Ok so I've had this Blue Tang for a few months now. I've caught her deliberately putting itself onto my circulation pump. She can swim off easily which she does so im confused. She eats like a savage and swims just fine. Has a place she sleeps underneath the rock where my Kenya Tree is located. Anyone know if tangs deliberately do things like this or is mine on some weird circulation pump fish fetish?
omg, any chance you have a photo? I just imagine it must look funny

I have a hippo tang too and she also has quite the personality. Veryyy klutsy and just all over the place and flappy. She is growing and appears healthy. I assume she is just a goof.... I think it must be something they have in common and why Dory was affectionately created that way. Either way, my hippo tang is my immediate favorite due to that nature haha.
 
omg, any chance you have a photo? I just imagine it must look funny

I have a hippo tang too and she also has quite the personality. Veryyy klutsy and just all over the place and flappy. She is growing and appears healthy. I assume she is just a goof.... I think it must be something they have in common and why Dory was affectionately created that way. Either way, my hippo tang is my immediate favorite due to that nature haha.
I'll take a picture of her and post it. Hopefully she doesn't swim off when I get close to the tank like she always does. Weird fish for real. Lol
 
I had one that would play dead. I have scooped it up many times thinking it had died, and as soon as I touch it, it swims off... I have seen mine stick itself on the intake as well. They are weird little fish, and have a huge personality.
 
They are just goofballs. I’m convinced they copied Dory’s personality off a real hippo.
Mine will do sprints in my tank. Will start at one end and swim full speed across the tank and then stop. Repeats this over and over.
Will also trail the other fish in the tank, like literally up their a$$es and copies whatever they do.
Will also go to the top of the water, take in some air, swim down to the bottom, release the air which causes a bubble and will swim up after it and eat it. I think they entertain themselves. Quite comical.
 
Last edited:
I had one that would play dead. I have scooped it up many times thinking it had died, and as soon as I touch it, it swims off... I have seen mine stick itself on the intake as well. They are weird little fish, and have a huge personality.
Mine does this also. She will swim swim swim and then just dip to the bottom left corner and sit still on the sand bed between a rock and glass. This fish is definitely a weird one. Lol
 
Mine does this also. She will swim swim swim and then just dip to the bottom left corner and sit still on the sand bed between a rock and glass. This fish is definitely a weird one. Lol
Yes!!! Crazy! My would do that and run right up against the power head, and then just go limp and get blown in the current, like it was riding it or something
 
She is a super weirdo. Lol. I'll try to catch her on the sandbed. Lol
20220811_102932.jpg
 
Mine literally sleeps squeezed between the powerhead and hinge/magnet every night. They are ridiculous fish and you have nothing to worry about.
 
She's just staring at me to see if I get close to the tank so she can dart to her hiding place. LOL
 

Attachments

  • 20220811_102946.jpg
    20220811_102946.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 37
Thanks. I'm Flippering everyday and microfibering the outside glass everyday aswell. I do have an eyesore on the front though. Tank came this way due to shipping and I didn't realize it until the very next day when I was able to fully observe the tank. By then, it was too late for manufacturer to help me out.
 

Attachments

  • 20220811_104443.jpg
    20220811_104443.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220811_104501.jpg
    20220811_104501.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 41
Ok so I've had this Blue Tang for a few months now. I've caught her deliberately putting itself onto my circulation pump. She can swim off easily which she does so im confused. She eats like a savage and swims just fine. Has a place she sleeps underneath the rock where my Kenya Tree is located. Anyone know if tangs deliberately do things like this or is mine on some weird circulation pump fish fetish?
It must love getting a massage. Too funny!
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top