Hippo Tang in Frag Tank

chris0412

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 14, 2018
Messages
359
Reaction score
126
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone I have an 80 gallon frag tank that’s 48x24x16, I was thinking of putting my two clowns that I have and maybe a hippo tang in there. Do you think this would work out okay?
 
Hi everyone I have an 80 gallon frag tank that’s 48x24x16, I was thinking of putting my two clowns that I have and maybe a hippo tang in there. Do you think this would work out okay?
Hi Chris0412,
The two clowns will be fine...if they're a bonded pair, otherwise they'll probably fight. The Hippo will be okay for a while if it's small. You'll want to transfer it to a bigger tank as it grows. Regals get big (1 foot) and need at least a 6' long tank or 180 gallons for swimming IMO.
 
Yes, but not long term.

They also aren't very good algae eaters, in case that's why you wanted a tang.
 
Yes on the Clowns, no on the Blue Hippo Tang because the tank isn't long enough or tall enough for one not to feel cramped at a relatively young age. If you want an algae eater then look into a Tomini or Kole Tang as they stay much smaller and will likely do a better job in the algae department.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top