Hitchhiker. How long have I not noticed him?

fachatga

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 6, 2021
Messages
989
Reaction score
1,495
Location
oak park
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did a water change and vacuumed part of my sand bed. Must have unearthed this guy. Noticed a new shell moving around a few hours later. It was out of place. I know what my CUC looks like. I know what kind of snail this is but the thing is I’ve never bought one. Got here somehow. I was just surprised how big it is. I had this thing get into my tank and it sat in the sand and got pretty big before I noticed it. So I figured I’d pose the question: what’s the biggest thing you found in your tank you didn’t put there? How big can a hitchhiker get before we find them? Thankfully these guys are good. Wonder what else is hiding
B1CD3FC0-7EC6-4178-8C0C-B1E512B19EF1.jpeg
 
it's always cool to find something good in the reef... :)
 
It took me 8 months and I discovered this Cephalochordata. Saw him move inside a hole in the LR a few times but finally got a picture.
If this isn’t a Cephalochordata please let me know.

352CE143-440A-40B5-B3D4-16649E641087.jpeg 3FEE42D4-7FB8-47A0-B05D-A6EF97FDD672.jpeg 0A1ECE3E-A6DE-4FA0-8CEF-EAA0B74BF019.jpeg 5C32C8DB-D540-483B-BDFE-FC2D6ACDEF3B.jpeg
 
I almost didn’t believe the lfs guy who started me off who told me I’ll see something in my tank one day that came in with the rock. I was so clueless when I started lol.
 
Actually just found this! Thought it Looked like a baby limpet but it had a orange skirt? Soft shell but a circle tip with same orange. Is this a flatworm?

06FC9AE8-6D9C-4C38-90EB-54841A0919E8.jpeg
 
I wasn’t trying to highjack your thread. Thank you for posting. I went to my tank to look after I read your post and found that. I started a new post and hopeful get clarification soon.
 
The biggest thing has been Octopuses that must have been Penny sized in the live rock I dived up. I did not see that first one until he was about 6-8" across.

The most common thing you will find are massive Bristle worms. I think anyone who has had a tank for several years eventually finds a massive one that is 10-12" long. I have seen some posts on here of ones much longer than that, maybe 20"
 
Actually just found this! Thought it Looked like a baby limpet but it had a orange skirt? Soft shell but a circle tip with same orange. Is this a flatworm?

06FC9AE8-6D9C-4C38-90EB-54841A0919E8.jpeg
To be precise this is Lucapina, a type of keyhole limpet.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top