Hitchhiker on my new Zoa

JenZolla

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 9, 2019
Messages
10
Reaction score
5
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7b1f5f503c8b834a14912f385f906aa8.jpg

Does anybody know what this is and is it harmful to my tank. New to corals.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Welcome 1.jpg


I'm not sure what it is that you want identified? Maybe take a photo with more white light and describe what it is and where it is on the zoa.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Welcome 1.jpg


I'm not sure what it is that you want identified? Maybe take a photo with more white light and describe what it is and where it is on the zoa.

Thanks it’s on the base of the “plug” thought a feather duster but only has one long thin string type thing at the very end. Will shrink up if disturbed. I will try for a better pic too.
 
I'm with Ron on this one. I'm not sure what it is you want identified in the photo. Perhaps you can mark the photo with some indication, perhaps a circle around the item in question...
 
Since it’s covered in rocks from your what looks like your substrate, I’d guess a worm. Maybe a spaghetti. No idea of knowing. Can you pick it off, put it in some water and take a pic with white lighting? Use tweezers to pull off.
 
I’m super new to all of this I have no idea how to circle what I’m concerned with but I will try to just tweezer it off. It’s the white thing on the lower left of frag. It mite be covered in rock but it looks like that all the time. I just figured I’d leave it if it wasn’t harmful. I dipped my corals when they arrived Monday and this thing showed up later in the evening. If it’s a spaghetti worm are they bad. Every thing I read online is soooo very contradictory. That’s why I join this group. Thanks again for you help and input. I will try to find how to mark or draw on my pic now.
 
I’m super new to all of this I have no idea how to circle what I’m concerned with but I will try to just tweezer it off. It’s the white thing on the lower left of frag. It mite be covered in rock but it looks like that all the time. I just figured I’d leave it if it wasn’t harmful. I dipped my corals when they arrived Monday and this thing showed up later in the evening. If it’s a spaghetti worm are they bad. Every thing I read online is soooo very contradictory. That’s why I join this group. Thanks again for you help and input. I will try to find how to mark or draw on my pic now.
Spaghetti worm is just my random guess because of how common they are. They bury themselves in the substrate and filter feed. I’m going to guess, was this coral frag in the sand before you moved it to the cup thing it’s on? If it is a spaghetti, they’re cool. Just filter feeders and help your tank.
 
Spaghetti worm is just my random guess because of how common they are. They bury themselves in the substrate and filter feed. I’m going to guess, was this coral frag in the sand before you moved it to the cup thing it’s on? If it is a spaghetti, they’re cool. Just filter feeders and help your tank.

I’m gonna say was never in the sand. I just received them. And had it on a piece of my live rock. When I noticed it I put frag on the cup to monitor it.
 
I think i see a tube made of sand...Spionid worms do that
IMG_20190809_132902.jpg

It does have a tube of some sort that it retracts into when bothered. And I’m cool to live and let live as long as it won’t hurt my tank. It took me months to cycle my 55gal tank and don’t want something horrible to happen. I’m unable to get a good pic of it but I will keep trying.
 
Just part of your tanks natural clean up crew...the tentacle(s) just picks up any food and poop it can to feed on

For myself I find they are more numerous in a younger tank and decline over time
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top