Hitchhiker: Xenia or Aptasia?

daftwazzock

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2019
Messages
191
Reaction score
163
Location
Netherlands
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up my first corals, some LPS yesterday from my lfs. Two varieties of Frogspawn, a duncan, and a GSP frag. On one of the frogspawn theres this little guy hanging out below the polyps though... hoping it's not aptasia. I know for a fact there was aptasia in their systems, they had a whole bunch with their peppermint shrimp (probably as food but still)

I really had to zoom in because the tendrils retract when I tried get up for a closer look.

I did dip in coralRX but cant find Bayer pesticide where I live (probably sold under another brand here)

20191221_124859.jpg
 
Last edited:
Looks like Xenia to me. I have single polyps of Pom Pom all over my tank just laying in wait to take over one day.

Glad for the confirmation. Think I should remove it, try to relocate it, or leave it be? I like it's motion but don't want it overgrowing my frogspawn let alone the tank.
 
I have a xenia rock in one of my tanks. I have had to "weed out" some small amounts that seem to grow in other places. But I like the xenia and have found it's not hard to control in my tank.
 
Is it on a hard tube? It does kinda look like a feather duster, if so I’d just leave it alone.
 
Not aptasia. I wonder if the frog will sting it someday
 
Its not aptasia. I don’t think it’s Xenia either, though. I agree with the above in seeing if that shell is soft or hard. Seems like a feather duster.
 
Looks like a feather duster to me too.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top