Home Depot light for Chaeto fuge. ??

Zoaeasy

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 19, 2015
Messages
456
Reaction score
293
Location
Calgary
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can anyone help me with the best bulb to get from Home Depot for Chaeto. I notice they have a whole bunch of Led's now .
 
I used a 5k bulb from HD over a 10 gallon tank when I first started. I think it was 75 watts. I didn't have any macroalgae but I had corals that did fine for a few months until I purchased a real aquarium light.
 
I'm experimenting with a couple Cree bulbs from Home Depot that @melev is also experimenting with.

The following 3 bulbs

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

They all seem to be doing ok.. You can follow my tank thread and I'll update periodically
 
Thanks for the advice I have two refugium and will try one of each.
 
Lowes is closer to me, so I picked out this bulb.
I really like the growth I get from it.


 
Par 38 led light. Never had better chaeto growth with anything else. I have to trim a bunch every other week.
Here's proof

i like this one too. ive used it. its 48k VERY intense. it will grow corals.
burn em too.
I have 32k and 56k in my fuge. Turns out thats the preferred spectrum for orchid growers. Makes sense spectrally speaking;)
 
the 5k 120 watt equivalent has been good to me. I have used the Cree and the Utilitech brand and both seem about on par (pun intended hehehe) I have grown cheato faster and stronger than I ever have using this bulb. I have to flip it at least once a week or it will bleach it.
 
Hi 5000k par 38 from Lowe’s or Home Depot. Works great

85F9B767-4B0E-4CFB-8543-4A362DD52D9B.jpeg
 
I have LED spot lights I got from amazon.

LED Security Lights Outdoor, 20W, 5000K, 2200LM, IP65 Waterproof, ETL Certificated, Adjustable Flood Light for Exterior Use​

But since I put in a DIY waterfall ATS, my macroalgae has not needed to be trimmed. But the ATS needs to be cleaned out once a month.

LOL just noticed how old this thread was
 
Last edited:
OOH, Necro thread revival. lol

4 year old thread. lol
OOH now it an almost a 6 year old thread. I dont remember when people quote me from posts a few weeks ago, so I'm sure you'll remember this post you made from almost 2 years ago.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top