Horticulture Light Over QT coral tank?

Ross B Reef'n

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 17, 2019
Messages
585
Reaction score
992
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, hope you're having a good day so far! So I woke up with morning with an odd idea. If part of the purpose for QT'ing corals is to avoid pests, why not dangle a carrot to see if their there? In this case I'm talking about algae. Now I haven't researched the spectrum band of horticulture lights yet, and I'm already guessing additional lighting would be needed.

The question is, would a horticulture light adversely affect a coral?

I suppose if I got a more expensive LED light I could blair the red and green spectrums... but this is something I've never done and wondering if anyone else has tried.
 
Hi everyone, hope you're having a good day so far! So I woke up with morning with an odd idea. If part of the purpose for QT'ing corals is to avoid pests, why not dangle a carrot to see if their there? In this case I'm talking about algae. Now I haven't researched the spectrum band of horticulture lights yet, and I'm already guessing additional lighting would be needed.

The question is, would a horticulture light adversely affect a coral?

I suppose if I got a more expensive LED light I could blair the red and green spectrums... but this is something I've never done and wondering if anyone else has tried.
Horticultural lamps are fine for marine algae but not corals/zooxanthellae. Strong red light has repeatedly been shown to adversely affect corals.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top