How’s this OK? Dirty sump troubles

CoralsAddiction

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 2, 2015
Messages
575
Reaction score
589
Location
Los Angeles/Tahoe
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from an AIO to a sump build early this year. Doing so added another maintenance issue I didn’t have to bother with before. I’m considering either getting a new sump with two filter sock holders or switching back to AIO. Not really thrilled about having to deal with two dirty filter socks every week. It’s hard enough to keep a tank clean and who in the world has the time to clean a darn sump?
It’s a 40B with 20L DIY sump.
09B7361D-1D85-4EA3-81BE-157AA6270D88.jpeg
E9C8725F-2BB5-41F4-A019-C1DB29C4E977.jpeg
 
Here's a thought... leave the socks out of the equation. Many run without. I may clean my sump 3 or 4 times a year at best without socks. If you can't find time a couple times a year, maybe you should rethink having the sump. Most sumps don't require much upkeep. Especially on a small tank.
 
I change socks every 2-3 days, otherwise they plug and overflow and become ineffective.
Takes less than a minute to change.
After I use a dozen, in the wash, no soap, extra rinse, air dry.
A lot of benefits to the sump.

You must have had some type of block for particulate in the AIO.

2B0EE087-453A-498F-BA22-C248D2BAF4A3.jpeg
 
I love socks and what they entrap. Cleaning is as simple as dropping in the washing machine with no bleach or soap- just a 30 min warm cycle
OR YOU CAN SWITCH TO MECH TYPE WHICH YOU CAN CLEAN BY HAND IN ABOUT 1 minute
 
Thanks for the suggestions. I threw away the filter sock and installed a Red Sea media basket with some filter floss from Petco. Also, the middle section of the sump is now breeding ground for bubble algae.
42816408-00A7-4940-B29F-D801DB50FAA7.jpeg
E23FEB00-7A04-4C5A-9865-77204A6A1BBF.jpeg
 
better there than your tank. the idea is to make the light better for algae in the refugium part of the sump and basically turn it in to an algae reactor with some macros, thus keeping your display algae free. hopefully considering other factors.
 

IF YOU HAD TO TAKE A REEFING EXAM, WOULD YOU PASS?

  • Yes!

    Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

    Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

    Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

    Votes: 3 4.3%
Back
Top